Topic

Backpacking Camera

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Backpacking Camera

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I am looking to get a camera for backpacking. I already have a Rebel XSi which is great for other uses, but I do not like lugging a DSLR backpacking. The only thing I really need is the best image quality I can get for the price, and HD video option. Zoom is important as well. My budget is around $250 or lower. Thanks in advance.

I am currently eyeing the Panasonic Lumix ZS7

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Andrew Skurka, who should be able to make a very educated suggestion about backpacking cameras, suggested a Canon S90 and said it was better than the famed LX3. It's only slightly out of your budget, but might be affordable during a Christmas sale…

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I looked at that one, the two things that made me pass it up were the price and the fact that it does not do video.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The Canon S90 has already been succeeded by the S95, which does do HD video.

Don't think so much about how much it costs. Just think what it would be worth!

–B.G.–

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Ditto the S90, but for video take a look at the current model the S95 which does 720P HD video, 28-105mm and an excellent low light lens at f2.0-4.9. It doesn't fit your budget ($400 MSRP) but is an excellent camera based on reviews and sample images.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Is the S95 any better than the Panasonic Lumix ZS7?

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

I use the ZS3, and love it. The 12x optical zoom really comes in handy (think wildlife), and the image stabilization is superb. Most shots I take even when using digital zoom come out crisp. It also handles low light pretty good for a point and shoot, and has a wider lens than most.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools