Topic

Backpacking Light Vapr Bivy Sack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info Backpacking Light Vapr Bivy Sack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I am the Gear Shop Manger here at Backpacking Light and although I am consulted regarding membership issues I did not design, nor did I make the decisions regarding our varying levels of membership benefits.

I do stand behind the quality of our product and the availability of our product and know that in the case of the BPL Vapr Bivy I have only released a small percentage of the product for sale to our Lifetime Members. I ask of you, our annual subscribers if releasing these items to you on yet another, staggered (or tiered as I read it mentioned earlier) release date would help eliminate the bad taste in your mouth?

Personally I see membership with Backpacking Light as meaning access to our editorial content much like one pays for an annual print magazine subscription. Although the discounted price of gear in the Gear Shop as a member is definitely a benefit as well. For instance the money saved on the purchase of this bivy will basically pay for a one year's subscription.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Maybe you could pass along the comments in this thread to whomever does make the decisions on membership benefits? Or direct them to this thread? We aren't asking for additional benefits here…just what has been promised.

"I ask…if releasing these items on..a staggered…date would help"

IMO, the main issue is that annual Members are being denied their first right to new products. Some sort of a second right status would be less bad, but it's still not living up to BPL's commitment.

"Personally I see membership with Backpacking Light as meaning access to our editorial content"

Maybe BPL should revise their annual Member subscription page to reflect this, so that Members aren't paying for and expecting other benefits? Right now Members are being promised a lot more than just access to editorial content. The annual Member page promises:

1 – Access to editorial content
    2 – Purchasing privileges: First rights, deals on gear, access to custom gear.
    3 – Email Support: Mentoring, Answering Questions
    4 – Members Only Moderation Discussion Forums

A lot of this stuff isn't happening. If BPL isn't able to provide what it's promising, then it shouldn't continue to promise it. What's frustrating about the 'first rights' promise is that BPL was doing this until the MLIFE group came along, and now it's been taken away and resold to the MLIFE'ers.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

Sam Haraldson said.. "Personally I see membership with Backpacking Light as meaning access to our editorial content much like one pays for an annual print magazine subscription."

I think this is the root of the problem. Staff are making personal decisions about what benefits are reflected in the annual membership fee, but they do not reflect completely those defined by the Corporation. Someone needs to get everyone on the same page.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Joseph, I do my best to point out when I'm making a personal comment versus one based on my position as an employee of the company.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

Sam,

I think you can understand why I would assume that a comment made by staff reflects the corporation's position, or that person's understanding of the position, especially if the person is identified as staff by their icon.

That's why I suggested that BPL should provide to its staff clarification on the particular benefits.

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

That's all I can say about the matter now without it being misconstrued. I tend to say more than is necessary (a personal problem!). Please sit tight, everyone, and thank you VERY much for your patience!

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

We screwed up. We did not "play the video" out regarding our decision to offer the BPL Vapr Bivies solely to Lifetime Members at this early date. Choosing to wait to offer the bivy to Premium Members until it was also open to the public was a misstep on our part and does not accurately convey our appreciation and respect for that significant population of our community, nor does it comprise a meaningful benefit to those of you who are members. BackpackingLight's official position: We sincerely apologize to you.

To rectify the situation, Premium Members will have the option of purchasing a Vapr Bivy on November 4th and 5th (Members-only newsletter being drafted now). If you miss the opportunity to purchase during this window, the remainder of our bivy inventory will go on sale for all on November 29th.

Thank you for your patience and graciousness!

David Ure

@familyguy

That's great news – fantastic, actually.

Thank you.

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

sure glad I didn't become a member. Nothing like watching paying members get the shaft because they didn't upgrade to a lifetime mebership.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

OK. So the Oct 28-29 window for Life Members is closed and the Premium Members' window has yet to come.

In between those two windows, the item is not available to anyone?

Wouldn't it make more sense (unless you're trying to protect a very limited inventory for the general public) once you open a window to keep that window open? Read-in "staggered availability based on membership level".

Just curious.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Please note that Addie said, "… Premium Members will have the option of purchasing a Vapr Bivy on November 4th and 5th."

Thanks,
    Sam

David Ure

@familyguy

I thought I read that right. Once again – great news. Just a few more days…..

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Good news.

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

"Please note that Addie said, "… Premium Members will have the option of purchasing a Vapr Bivy on November 4th and 5th."

Thanks,
    Sam"

Also note that it took your paying members to start asking for refunds and complaining before someone at BPL decide they messed up.

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Locale: Central Texas

If you don't ask, the answer is always no.

David Ure

@familyguy

Eddy, you crazy non-member you.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

While I now have access to the specifications page, it isn't telling me a lot. A number of people here and on the other thread, including life members, have asked if the Vapr Bivy is designed to contain a thick insulated air pad (2.5" to 3" thick), plus a sleeping bag with 5" or 6" loft, without compressing the bag's insulation, so I'm not the only one who wants to know! I find it difficult to do this measurement myself while in my sleeping bag! I notice that the MLD bivies have 2" more shoulder girth and are designed to fit the NeoAir.

Thank you very much for clarifying the situation for Premium Members!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Hi Mary,

I suppose that really depends on the entire girth of your system, that includes your pad, bag, clothes, and you.

In addition, the length of the pad has a little bit of influence too because long pads take more room down in the bottom of the bivy where the girth in the bivy is smaller.

Also, back and stomach sleeper require less girth than side sleepers.

I can sleep in the Vapr Bivy on a regular width, short Neo-Air, with the UL 240 Quilt while wearing a Cocoon Hoody and Pant, and using a small inflatable pillow on the Neo-Air pad, and sleep on my back/stomach or side, without compressing anything.

I can use my winter pad system (torsolite + full length foam pad) with my winter bag (a WM Antelope) and sleep in any position without compression.

I'm 5'8" and 160 lb.

YMMV! I don't have any full length or wide thick pads here to test with it, but the Vapr's should start trickling into customer hands any day and maybe they can provide some experience too!

Best,
    Ryan

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hello Ryan

Which size did you use? Short, Reg , Long ?

Thanks Jim

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

It's just that we have only tomorrow and the next day to order! But thanks, Ryan, that info definitely does help! I'm quite a bit shorter than you but (unfortunately) about the same weight. I really like the idea of having a short size so there's not 2 feet of bivy hanging off the bottom end of my 66" long sleeping bag!

And thanks again for getting the membership priority issues straightened out!

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

In case you don't get an answer from Ryan in time to get in on the Member only buy, I'm fairly certain he uses a regular size.

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Thanks Chris.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice to see this situation getting the attention it deserves and a good outcome. Nice job BPL.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Edited for being shown the light :) Thanks!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Dug,

Thanks for the comments. It may not have been pointed out in this forum but both our Lifetime Members as well as our Annual subscribers were all given early access to all the new products BPL introduced this season.

Cheers,
    Sam

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools