Topic

performance of Montane hardshell jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists performance of Montane hardshell jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Lee

@boy_fromoz

I've been let down badly by my Montane Venture jacket lately.

in July I re-treated it with nikwax, however within a few weeks of use (I'm on a long trip) water ceased to bead off meaningfully, meaning the outer fabric gets saturated quickly.

i guess this can be blamed on the nikwax or my re-treatment method (though I followed the instructions carefully).

However in even moderate rain, parts of the jacket start to wet-through in about 10 minutes. It's too fast and too wet to be explained by condensation on the inside.
    I'm sure of this, because before starting this trip I tested the jacket standing in the shower and found this happening after a few minutes (being about to depart I had no time to send

a few days ago I was caught in a heavy 90-minute downpour.
    attached is a picture of the jacket about 14 hours after the event, still wet. It can be seen that the hood and the base of the neck in particular are soaked through, a situation which as mentioned happens quickly in even moderate rain.

wetted-through jacketthe item back to montane).

That day I was soaked to the skin (through a fleece and wool baselayer).

Other times this past fortnight, I've had to use the jacket for a day outside in near-constant light to moderate rain, and I've found consistently that my mid and base layers are soon absorbing water from the hardshell.

The result is that I've been having on-off colds and feeling drained, the very result that buying an expensive hardshell was supposed to avoid.

I researched the item and the brand carefully before buying and purchased from a reputable supplier. Am I expecting too much from the jacket, or should I be emailing montane?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Theres something wrong with that jacket I say, I have both the Quick fire and Superfly XT which never let me down in horrendous Scottish wind and rain.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

in the shower … is it soaking through from the rain or yr sweat?

edit … i just saw you did … id contact montane

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I cant say I know much about your brand, but I do have years of experience with two North Face Mountain Lite shells.

I worked outside regardless of weather for 15 years and that shell and pants kept me dry and warm no matter what. I had my first one for over ten years of continous use and I still have it today for kicking around in places where I know I am going to get really dirty (like riding 4 wheelers)

I dont think they fall into the lite range used here by backpackers, but peformance wise, you cant beat them.

Long story short, if you are seeing all that soak through and your shell is supposedly waterproof, you have a major issue. I am positive I could go put on my mountain lite get in the shower for 20 mins and stay dry.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools