Topic

Hammock fabric long term durability

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Hammock fabric long term durability

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

This kind of fits along with Tims thread on fabrics and weight capacities, but I didn't want to hijack.

I just got back from an overnighter, I now have only 6 nights in my MYOG hammock. It is made from BWDD 1.1oz ripstop (the camo).

I weigh 155lbs, after dinner.

I have never worn shoes in my hammock, or pants with zippers or anything that could tear the fabric.

I now have small areas where the fabric is clearly stressed. Picture a small area, about 1/2" by 1", with only up/down fibers and the left/right fibers are gapped(best way I can describe, will put up pic tomorrow). I have quite a few of these stressed areas. It makes me nervous, I don't want a surprise drop to ground in the middle of the night.

Is there a source for polyester ripstop, I would think polyester would be a little more durable, and would eliminate the stretching. At my weight, I notice the stretch of the fabric under my rear.

I am willing to go up a small amount in weight for long term durability.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

IIRC, someone else asking for polyester was advised that Spinn fabric is polyester. Sounds reasonable when you think about the lack of stretch.

My opinion is that your stretch marks just show how strong the fabric is. You have overstretched, woven material. No torn fabric or broken threads, just stretched beyond its ability to recover.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

nylon is stronger by weight than polyester.

There are lots of different kinds of spinnaker fabric
    and not all are polyester.

If you were to use the silicone coated 1.1 oz, you would
    have a higher tear strength. Don't know how a coated
    fabric would work for a hammock tho.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Thanks,
    If nylon is stronger than polyester I may have to consider using a higher weight fabric. I guess a 1.5 or even a 1.9oz.

I just like my stuff to be durable and to last. Just don't want to take to high of a weight penalty.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Chris, my 1.1 camo from BWDD has always had those spots, they're more apparent in the "coyote" colored areas. It's a quirk of this particular fabric, but doesn't change a thing.

I've got over 50 nights in mine, and quite a few nights of me and my gf in it hanging from the ceiling and watching tv. I even spent a couple of nights with my Great Dane puppy (read: 40lbs) and her puppy claws in it.

The area's the fabric looks a bit loose and wavy right?

Worst case, order some of the gray 1.1 uncoated that Scott has now, and give it a spin. It's calendered I think, so likely wont show those signs.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Thanks,
    I guess I was reading these stressed spots as failure points, but I should be seeing them as how strong the fabric is. Glad to hear others have the same.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

When I read your title, UV degradation came to mind. I would run this by Hammockforums as there are a lot of builders there. I know people have written about issues like thread tearing, etc.

I have a Grand Trunk Ultralight that is polyester and quite thin, and very breathable. The bare fabric weighs 9oz and is 114"x54" with the finished hems.

My Hennessy Explorer is something like a Cordura, and still breathable, but nothing like the Grand Trunk. It is a tank too.

Silnylon wouldn't be very comfortable as it doesn't breath. The Asian manufacturers use some very light nylon fabrics, but other than that, the only identification is "parachute" and other generic terms.

With all my years on BPL, I've never heard of BWDD and their http://www.diygearsupply.com offshoot. Lots of supplies there. I do see that they sell fabric seconds– perhaps that is what you have? "2nds Fabric (due to two tiny gray stripes running parallel along the center of the fabric, hard to see, but they are there)."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools