Topic

ULA Epic Pack Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable ULA Epic Pack Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

ULA Epic Pack Review

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Do you know the weight of the Medium torso Epic with and without the weight of the included Sea to Summit 65L Big River Dry Sack? Thanks.

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Roleigh,

I don't have a weight on the Medium Frame or the Big River Dry Bag. Hoping that maybe Chris from ULA will jump in here and provide that info.

I do know the Big River is heavier than other dry bag options.

Ed

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

ULA site says 32.5 oz for Epic, seems to include weight of STS 65L, which weighs 10.0 oz.

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Brad,

The large as tested weighed 38 oz without a dry bag or side pockets.

Ed

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Bought one of these a few weeks back for heavy load and nasty weather trips. Have not taken it out yet but I agree with the reviewer, this is a burly pack. Not the best option for a standard 3 season weekend trip. Also thinking this pack will be great when needing to check baggage. Even with my hiking kit, the pack frame all fits inside of the supplied Sea to Summit dry bag which seems tough enough to check without fear of it being mangled by handlers.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Not the best option for a standard 3 season weekend trip."

No such thing as a standard. I suspect that one's definition of 3 season is very different from that of another.

Justin Tremlin

@notu

Locale: Central Washington

This reminds me of the Dana Designs Racer X I owned back in 2000.

Jonathan Young
    BPL Member

@jyoungster52

I agree, as I remember the Racer X, having borrowed one from a friend for a weekend trial. The price of $275 for the Epic seems awfully steep also.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Ed, or anyone else who has an epic.

I would like to modify my Arctic Drypack so that the shoulder straps attach to the hipbelt area just like the Epic does. Currently, I have zero adjustability for the straps and it is a bit cumbersome to make sure the little plastic clip is in the slot on the drybag when I put it on.

Could you post a closeup picture of the attachment area on the Epic so I can see where and how they placed it and mimic it. I think the bag would perform much better in the new configuration. Thanks!

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Steven,

Here is a photo of the shoulder strap attachment point on the Epic. The pencil point to the sewn end.Shoulder Strap Attachment Point

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Ed,
    Thank you. I figured it was located right behind the hip belt pocket but wanted to make sure. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Cost me 10 bucks and a total of 15 minutes talking politics at the leather shop across the street from me. I kept the plastic triglides on the ends of the straps just in case they rip out and I need to rig up something else.

Outside view:
    ULA Mod1

Inside view:
    ULA Mod2

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it appears that the NRS Paragon pack is a comparable solution and costs $220 bucks less. http://www.altrec.com/nrs/paragon-pack-system

The reviews on Altrec all seem pretty positive. Is there anyone with first hand experience?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

My wife uses a Paragon when we canoe in the Boundary Waters.

We attach a NRS 60L drybag, taking care to "structurally" load it for inherent stiffness. Thirtyfive pounds is about the maximum, as she also carries paddles, day bags, and other loose gear.

She typically uses a Granite Gear Vapor Ki, and says this doesn't even come close, but for typical portages of less than a mile, it is a good muck-proof, waterproof solution.

David Ure

@familyguy

What a great price on the NRS. I have always thought the Epic was waaaay overpriced. This just confirmed it.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

At first glance, that NRS pack may have some potential. A few mods may get you there.

But, at 54 bucks I am curious where it is made. Being in the manufacturing industry, I try my best to buy "local/domestic" as much as I can.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Steve –
    Mine is a 2007 and says "Made in Vietman".

David Ure

@familyguy

Funny – ULA packs are sewn by Latin immigrants so what is the difference.

4-5 times the price is ridiculous.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

ULA packs are sewn by Latin immigrants so what is the difference.

Difference is the Latin immigrants spend their earned money in North America. I don't care "who" makes it.

I was simply putting it out there that the ULA pack was localy made. I know lots of people here try to support local…just saying.

I try my best, but I drive a suzuki swift so probably should just keep quiet :)

David Ure

@familyguy

I see what you are saying, but China spends a lot of money in both the US and Canada…;)

Still – it is over 500% more expensive. For just the frame!

Next time I hear someone complain about spending $500 on a Mchale I will lead them to this pack.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Still – it is over 500% more expensive. For just the frame!

No disagreement there!

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

With the inital setup of the pack I would agree it was too expensive, but it now comes with the drybag and handy side pockets. Still not cheap, but the price does not seem crazy anymore. Obviously it cannot compare to a $54 pack though.

David Ure

@familyguy

I was surprised that the $54 model has belt pockets.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

NRS Outfitter 62 Liter Dry Bag – $55

NRS 2.2
    Virtually indestructible.

So $110 for a similar setup.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools