Topic

Let’s talk backpacking slang

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Let’s talk backpacking slang

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Hey everyone, I've got this school (linguistics) project in which I've got to give details about some new slang. And I need your help to gather details about slang we use when we talk about backpacking.

I need to turn in a list of 15 or so words that are specific to our speech community (which I'll call "Lightweight Backpacking"). Words like nero or slack pack, or phrases like pulled a 30 are all the kind of things that I mean.

Also, I need to describe this speech community. I can do most of that, but thoughts are totally welcome. Just some characteristics or "social features" that we all have in common.

I know of so many terms we use, but I do need to "collect" them from people who use this slang. And it's also encouraged to briefly describe the context, connotations, an example, and perhaps even the source and sociological implications of the word. Most folks are personally interviewing people, but I like these forums. The deadline is Friday at midnight. So, run wild. What are some words we love to say?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I need to do a Zero Day.

(I need a thru hiking day of zero miles, a rest day)

–B.G.–

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

"cowboy camping" might be a good one

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Here are a few that came to mind,these aren't my terms, just some I've heard before or stumbled across. A few might be a stretch, some perhaps don't qualify as slang:

Postholed- breaking through the top layer of snow into the mushy stuff below, typically up above the knees and into the crotch.

Hiker trash- referring to PCT hikers specifically?

UL- ultralight, it's more of an acronym, but it get's thrown out there in a casual manner on this forum and in conversation pretty frequently.

bagged- kind of a climbers term, but we use it as well, many of us backpackers "bag" peaks on trips.

tanking- loading up on water between sources, usually during long stretches without available water.

MYOG- make your own gear, it's another acronym of course, but the manner in which it's used is bordering slang usage.

GORP- depending on who you talk to and what's in it, is a hiker term used when referring to trail mix, "good ol raisins and peanuts" is one version.

bushwhack- hike off trail

blaze- term used when referring to a trail indicator found on a tree, blazes vary.

wetted out- usually when a materials DWR properties fail, or a materials surface area has been fully saturated

DAM- down air mattress

singletrack, double track- pretty self explanatory

ditty bag- the small stuff sac of personal odds and ends that make their way into a backpack. Ex: chapstick, iPod, matches, keys, toothbrush and paste, contact solution, batteries, etc.

trimmed- removing excess material and ounces from an item of gear for the sake of lightening the load.

meths- short for methylated spirits, usually referring to various liquid fuels (denatured alcohol, HEET, acetone) used in lightweight stoves.

vitamin I- ibuprofen, not very specific to hiking, but some hikers use ibuprofen for pain management

mid- generic term when referring to a pyramidal style shelter pitched with one pole or 2 combined, ex: Oware, Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid, Megamid, and Speedmid, Z-packs Hexamid, Black Diamonds Betamid, etc.

LNT- leave no trace

potty trowel- tool used for digging cat holes to drop a deuce in.

Ti- all things titanium

"Westie"- a product manufactured by the reputable and highly adored company Western Mountaineering, specifically their sleeping bags

skin out- term used by super ultralighters and ultralighters alike to refer to the inclusion of everything that is worn from the "skin out" in your gear list, so anything on you and in your pack goes on your gear list and is added to the total weight.

blow out- epic failure of a portion of your trail running shoes (shoes, upper, toe guard), usually resulting in unsightly duct tap repairs and haggard sewing jobs in the field.

fastpacking- verdict is still out on what this term even means now. Traveling very light, and covering lots of mileage very fast…?

bomber- slang term referring to an item of gear that is extremely durable

nest- referring to a lightweight hammock users setup: (hammock, suspension, underquilt, overquilt, tarp, etc.)

crotch rot- the cumulative effect of spent days in the backcountry neglecting hygiene in the downstairs region of the body.

monkey butt- general nastiness in the region of the buttocks, brought on by sweaty pants, poor wiping, using the Mike C. method of toilet paperless wiping, chafe, etc.

Maybe that's a start.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

A couple that come to mind:

Trail Magic
    Trail Angels
    Cold Butt Syndrome (CBS)
    Whoopies

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

A couple that come to mind:

Trail Magic
    Trail Angels
    Cold Butt Syndrome (CBS)
    Whoopies

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

edit

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

I can't take credit for this one, not even sure if it's common usage or one witty poster just made it up, read it here somewhere in the forums and found it quite funny:

"unobtainium" – A new material that would solve all our UL
    problems, only if it existed.

"pffft..That's not UL, my new bomber freestanding 3 man tent weighs 17.2 oz, and can survive 120 mile an hour winds no problem. It's made of breathable cuben with unobtainium cross poles up the ying yang"

or

"going to ground" – "Damn pine beetles. I've got this Warbonnet Blackbird, but no trees. I guess I'll have to go to ground tonight."

As for "community" and their usage of slang to express its "social features", I'd say the above two examples exemplify what light weight backpackers concern themselves with:

namely, practical applications of technology (or hype) and skills to help sustain our individual comfort level in the wilderness.

Otherwise we get cold, wet, hungry, and wake up stiff with shin splints.

As well, slang to express shared experiences and we like buying expensive gear with holy grail like claims.

I hope that's what you mean, if not, apologize for the rambling.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I don't know if you would call this "slang", but rather "jargon"

-go-to gear
    -SUL
    -cuben
    -sil_____
    -whoopie sling
    -guylines
    -DIAD
    -thru-hiker
    -torso pad
    -cat curve
    -hammock camping
    -baselayer
    -10 essentials
    -VBL
    -single wall
    -doubel wall
    -sleeping quilt
    -top quilt
    -under quilt
    -mainstream
    -hardcore packer
    -weight conscious
    -skin out
    -base weight
    -beanie
    -DWR
    -peak bagging
    -walk high, camp low
    -katabatic
    -misting
    -fly sheet
    -closed cell
    -frameless pack
    -breathable
    -wind layer
    -800 fill power
    -three-season
    -end-to-end
    -yo-yo
    -Triple Crown
    -gear freak
    -gearhead
    -gear pimp
    -tarptent
    -southbound
    -northbound
    -pack tube
    -freezer bag cooking
    -pot cozy
    -bear bagging
    -polycro
    -spinn
    -on-trail
    -off-trail
    -soloing
    -floorless
    -hydrostatic head
    -line-of-sight
    -triangulation
    -above treeline
    -no resupply
    -cameling up
    -dished campsite
    -duff
    -stealth camping

Some I thought of off the top of my head

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

-freezer bag cooking =

"FBC"

The acronym started as a joke and 6 years later it has become a standard ;-) Pretty cool!

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

the hangers (slang in and of itself) forgot one term:

"Groundling"

anyone who sleeps on the ground, on purpose. ;)

dirtbagger?
    yogi?
    Nemo?

John Z
    BPL Member

@feather

gram weenie

A person obsessed with reducing weight of items worn or carried

"He's such a gram weenie he not only cut his toothbrush handle, he also filed down the sides of what was left."

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Wow! Oh my. I was never expecting such a great response. But silly me, this is BPL, I should've expected it.

These are fantastic words and phrases, so many of these didn't come to my mind right away, but are certainly jogging my memory.

This is too cool. Later in the week (Wednesday night or Thursday morning) I'll post a list of my favorites with the rest of their data, so it can be subject to scrutiny by veteran eyes.

And I don't know if you remember, but last time when I asked for help with a stats project, I chose the topic number of Nat'l Park visits/year vs costs of transportation and got an A. You. Guys. Are. Great.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

n/m forgot I already posted

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

You might search for existing lists/glossaries, such as:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8115

Laurie Gibson
    BPL Member

@lagibson

Locale: Northeast

thin(ning) the herd (of pots, shelters, etc.)

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Heine Pot
    biner
    sil

EDIT:
    Beaver Fever

*not much but you've already got a good start for picking your 15.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Today's word is "widow-maker."

"That's a widow-maker! I can't believe I missed it!", said as I quickly grabbed the dead 5 inch diameter tree my 7 year old daughter had started on the unpredictable process of felling as we were busy setting up camp in a remote wilderness area.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

UWidow maker is pretty specific' more dead tree terms.. Leaner, snag.

I just talked with hiking partners about death marching the rest of today.

additions.. Ten by ten. Yellow blazing. pink blazing. Trail tail. Purple route. Red route. Rainbow route. Weight weenie. Cow-taminated. Gut rot. Yogi. Purist. Reebok hiker. Touron. Busting.

And more..
    This was fun! Two hundred and fifty miles left on the cdt right now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"That's a widow-maker! I can't believe I missed it!", said as I quickly grabbed the dead 5 inch diameter tree my 7 year old daughter had started on the unpredictable process of felling as we were busy setting up camp in a remote wilderness area."

It's also used, or used to be, in climbing when referring to a detached flake or loose chockstone in a chinmey.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

NOBO- north bound, usually printed, not pronounced
    SOBO- south bound, also usually printed
    Camel up- take on a lot of water because your next source is very far

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Some of this is local
    Shale trail: A band of open horizontal, typicaly small and loose, rock used as a travel corridor

Bark Eater: Half Red neck, half Tree Hugger, A back country minimalist.

Cliffed out: What can happen when taking a shale trail.

Natives: Cutthroat trout, when used in reference to fish.

Deer bed: Bivy sight at the base of a tree, typically in the duff of evergreens. Sought after in a down pour, judged as excellent if a deer is currently residing in it.

Spring chicken: Young out of season Blue Grouse consumed by bark eaters.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Anyone remember trying to get an early Evolution 2P from Big Sky? They were said to be "Vaporware". Such as might be constructed of "Unobtanium".

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Hey everybody,

I've been slammed at school but I've put together a (very empty, rough) draft of what the project will look like.

Your help is totally welcome and encouraged, as I'm supposed to collect all of the information from outside sources anyway.

I've made an editable google doc which you can find here:

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1doJ68Vm6wP_bFMkks0fYR_KgYP0noILhai3lWlO70Nk&hl=en

feel free to add AS MUCH INFORMATION YOU PLEASE!

You'll see I've narrowed the list down and changed some definitions a little. It's nothing personal I just did it to more properly fit the prompt. I hope you understand.

And the ones with asterisks, well I think they're either a company or person and/or I don't know what they mean. At the end I'll pick the most complete ones for the final project. I've learned I can use as many as I want but only 15 will be graded.

Again, please help as much as you can, as I need data:

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1doJ68Vm6wP_bFMkks0fYR_KgYP0noILhai3lWlO70Nk&hl=en

It's sincerely appreciated thank you!

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

link?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools