Topic

most comfy foam pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) most comfy foam pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I'm considering switching from a BA insulated air core pad to a foam pad to save weight. What's the most comfy foam pad of them all?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Closed cell or open cell / self inflator?

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Closed cell

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Probably the Thermarest stuff as the GG Nightlite is a bit hard comparably. But I live in the middle of gear hell without much around to compare to.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

The Nightlight from Gossamer Gear gets high marks around here. My impression is the Z-rest comes in a close second for comfort.

I personally cannot get comfortable on them on most surfaces, though. Too bad for me!

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

I've tried from 2.5 inch inflatable BA insulated pads, to GG NigthLight egg crate pads, to 3/8" closed cell foam pads, to 1/4" GG ThinLight pads. What I have determined, at least for me (YMMV), is that site selection is what really matters. If I sleep on hard desert floor on a 2.5" inflatable pad, I won't sleep any better than on the 1/4" foam pad (which won't be very well). All the pad does for me is #1 insulate me from the cold ground and #2 make the sharp objects I'm sleeping on less uncomfortable.

So as the ultralight maniac I am, nothing is substantially better than the lightest option, so I go with the 1/4" foam pad for my 3 season gear. I simply chose to sleep on top of some type of natural padding/insulation, and I sleep great on my super thin pad.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

"What's the most comfy foam pad of them all?"

The one you sleep on on your back.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Perhaps the Ridgerest Solar or Ridgerest

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

The Z-rest was about 33% more comfortable to me than the standard thickness ridgerest. The egg crate bumps went flat really fast though. So for comfort for more than a couple of weeks of use, I'd go with the Ridgerest Solar since it's 1/8" thicker than the non Solar.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

I <3 my TAR Z Lite. Best CCF pad around. TAR RidgeRest close second.

Matthew Thomas

@caramelmarx

Locale: Southern California

I would have to suggest the Z-lite. If your pack can work with it's awkward shape and lack of "burrito"- ness then it's really the king (it's also yellow, which represents it's royalty, gold). I thought alternating your sleeping habits was kind of unreasonable but if you think about it I guess it's not. I guess just in general we shouldn't adapt to our gear.

Happy Hiking

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Will the z-lite really flatten out after only a couple weeks use? Im a lighter guy- around 150. Seems like a waste if it does.

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

I don't see you having a problem. I used mine on my AT thru and it is noticeably flatter now, but I still find it comfortable. And it definitely took longer than a few weeks for me. It was a pretty slow process over a 5 month period. I started my hike around 165 lbs and ended it around 145 just to give you a frame of reference.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools