Topic

Backpacking Light AR

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Backpacking Light AR

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

Locale: Indy

Just got back form a great overnighter in the Ouachita Mountains Natl Forest of Arkansas. Got to the trail head late due to the unpaved forest roads and trying to find the trail head. Hiked a section of the eagle rock loop, near albert pike rec area. The site of the tragic and deadly flood earlier this year. Seeing that place is sobering and prayers go out to victims and families.

Hike started at the the Little Missouri River trail heading towards albert peak. Made it a decent few miles till it got late and set up camp, the sun is starting to go down early.

Here was my gear list. I know The DR is heavy for a solo tent but I wasn't able to cost effectivly buy a second shelter before the trip. I didn't weight what I was wearing or the camera that was in my pocket so I guess I cheated a bit.

Pack
    – GG vapor Trail- 35.84oz

food
    -MLD Ti cup and alcohol stove-3.14
    -fuel-3.6
    -Bear bag line- 1.34oz
    -spoon .35
    -steripen classic 5.68
    -food 18.50oz
    -2 1L water bottles-2.7

shelter/sleep
    -TT DR-42.75oz
    -montbell bag-19.58
    -hat/down vest/xtra socks-11.5
    -pad-9.7 oz
    -ground cloth-3.6

misc
    -TP- .56oz
    -FAC/small kinfe-2.29
    -headlamp-3.81oz

total
    10.30lbs carried pluis ~2lbs or less (1L) of water at a given time. Not great compared to lots of hikers on this site, but for me thats 1/3 of what I used to carry on an overnighter. I've learned a lot from this site. Thanks everyone, help me critique my list down further. I'd like to get a lighter shelter so I can move to a frameless pack. I felt wonder on the trail with such a light load. Seeing other hikers out with 40lbs packs was painful to watch.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Nice pics. Miss the changing of the seasons. Although I've never used a poncho tarp or anything (uber light), I've thought the same as you considering shelters.

I have a 2010 DR and a Hexamid Solo. To tell you the truth, and I know this is a UL backpacking site, I'm still undecided which "I" prefer for solo. I really like the Double Rainbow, it's ease of set-up and comfort.

More importantly though, it has a small footprint and can be pitched free standing if need be. I like the Hexamid quite a bit but the DR is truely hassle free.

I also use a MLD Burn. The DR and 3-4 days of supplies, fits a small UL pack no problem.

10 lbs in a frameless pack is pretty good.

Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

Yes, so far the DR has outperformed all my expectations. I have used I a lot this summer, carcamping, backpacking it can do it all for with a lot of weight for a small package.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Sounds like a fun trip…

"Got to the trail head late due to the unpaved forest roads and trying to find the trail head."

I prefer hikes to start at locations like this where enjoying nature starts way before I get to the trail.

Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

Haha yea, this area makes me want to trade my honda in for something with 4WD. I'm originally from chicago and so SW Arkansas is a complete 180 from a big metropolis. Very rugged and beautiful out there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools