Topic

Down Hood/Balaclava

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Down Hood/Balaclava

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England

After making the quilt I made a hood. It's got 2inch if loft and baffled construction. It was my favourite piece of kit I had with me last night. My head was cosy whilst I was cooking, sleeping, packing. I put it on when we got to where we decided to kip and wore until we took of the next morn. Just gonna add some cord to go under my arms just to help it stay put and order some mini cord locks.

My mate liked it enough that he's got me making him one and I reckon it'll be a steal as I'm only charging him round £40 and Nuntakas are over $100. Oh and it weighs around 110 grams.

I may post a tutorial on my blog with step by step pics if people would be interested.
    HoodHood 2Hood 3

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Looks great and do that tutorial on your blog. Which leads to the question what is the web site URL?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Rob,

Ok! Time to come clean – where did you buy this???!!!!

Just kidding, of course. It looks too nice! You did a professional job.

Todd

Matt Jones
    BPL Member

@mjones

Nice job! What's your blog URL???

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Very nice!

Also very smart to make it separating at the neck … that makes it much more versatile, especially when wearing when not sleeping.

Pls do post some instructions.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

That looks fantastic.
    Please give a link when you have the directions up, I will have to make one.
    Great job

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Definitely blog it (and put your blog url on your profile!)

Looks great.

Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England

Here's the link to the blog article. Sorry for the way some of it looks, I can never get it to do exactly what I want. Let me know what you think of the article and any questions about what I did.
    http://rob-thegreatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2010/10/make-your-own-down-balaclava.html

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

Great idea and great execution! What an excellent, super-functional piece of gear for the quilt sleeper. I'll be making one of those, probably in synthetic. Great job.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Very nice work, Martin! I think I will try one of these :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools