Topic

JetBoil or SnowPeak GigaPower?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) JetBoil or SnowPeak GigaPower?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Looking to upgrade from my SnowPeak Starter Kit (with GigaPower stove) to a Jetboil.

Been down the alcohol stove path, not to enthused.

Any advice?

David Ure

@familyguy

Joe, wait until the 2011 versions come out. There will be a titanium, smaller cup version of the Jet Boil that will weigh 9oz complete.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Interesting. I have that REI dividend and 20% off burning a hole in my pocket. Maybe I will wait.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Joe, if you're thinking of using your 2010 REI dividend for a JetBoil, just remember that the dividend expires Dec. 31, and the new JB won't be available until later. But your 2011 dividend will happen in March, and the JB should be available by then. Is that what you meant?

David Ure

@familyguy

Tough choice. Here is some further info on the new JB's

http://www.dailyhiker.com/news/new-stoves-from-jetboil-for-spring-2011/

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

IMO…I still think that for the most versatile setup the Giga is better than the JB – due to being able to use whatever pot you want at any given time. Having said that the JB is still tops on time/fuel efficiency.

(And yes, you can convert the JB stove to work on other pots…but…not my first choice.)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

one of the biggest advantages of the jetboil is the lock in pot system

if youre ever climbing, need a hanging pot, need to make a quick meal in a canoe, etc … the jetboil is great …

you can literally walk with the pot in yr hand while it cooks

with the new lighter weight ones … no reason not to get one ;)

its not the lightest best option out there … but it is the most idiot proof … lol

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

I checked, and the 2009 dividend (issued March 2010) does not expire until the end of 2011. I think I can then wait for the new JB.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

I'm not really concerned with the "race to the bottom" in terms of weight. I want something lightweight, but works very reliably.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

But the Snowpeak is SOOOO small!

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Since the OP Title asks which one, I'd stick w/the Snowpeak. In my mind, that IS the "upgrade."

I have a Reactor; wicked, wicked fast boil. It's heavy, though. I've been using it to make coffee those mornings I'm late leaving the house; my water's boiling before I can get the beans ground. Not sure you'll find the stove in my pack very often, though… like the Jetboil, double the weight of a light canister stove and pot. Time will tell.

If you didn't try a Caldera on your alcohol stove path, I'd recommend trying one before you give up on alky.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Snow Peak to Jetboil sounds like backwards to me.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Snow Peak to Jetboil sounds like backwards to me.
    Seriously upwards in weight terms.
    Huge marketing spin by JetBoil though.

Cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

curious- is there a problem w/ your current Giga?

mine boils quickly (don't use it to simmer, but looks like it will), is basically idiot proof, very light and compact- personally I wouldn't even consider another canister stove for three season use

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'd stick with the Gigapower also. Mine has served me well in all conditions for a long time.
    More versatile, less overall weight if paired with a good pot.
    The savings in fuel of the Jetboil won't be realized unless you're on the trail for a LONG time.

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

I went back to the Gigapower (from an even lighter Snowpeak)after reading the articles on CO2 emissions. I don't often have to cook in a vestibule, but if I do I wanted the stove with the lowest CO2 output. And it is waaaay lighter than a JB. I only mkae dehydrated meals, so I just need a Titanium cup to boil water.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Thanks everyone for the opinions. Maybe I need to give my GigaPower another shot. Also, maybe if Tom weren't on the shelf and could come for a hike I could try his Caldera.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Joe,
    Wow, hitting a guy when he's down and injured!! I started physical therapy to work on that planar faciitis, and hope to be back on the trail soon.

Let me know anytime you want to borrow something.

Tom

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools