Topic

5 year old, 7 year old, 9 year old for 4 days in December. Help!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 5 year old, 7 year old, 9 year old for 4 days in December. Help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Ok, you've done wonders for my backpacking life here so I thought I'd throw this out. I want to take these little ones on a three night, 4 day trip the week after xmas somewhere within a day drive of southern California. Without snow, and relatively easy. Can be desert southwest….or bay area like point reyes. (conidering that heavily). Just don't want to be rained in all day. Any ideas for me? IT'll be cold but maybe like Zion / Arches type places? But an easy 4-5 miles a day for the little ones? Any Ideas? Thanks in advance!

Ed

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I can think of some places in our neighborhood, like Ventana, Big Sur and Big Basin, but it might rain that time of the year, and also, you have quite a few days…
    Joshua Billings, a bpl member, has 4 kids within the same age range, and he takes them out regularly. He could be a good resource for you.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

I'll look for him. They've done some good trips around here… but it'll be snow then at altitude around So Cal. I'm thinking East may be the best choice around Arizona / Nevada / Joshua Tree or something. Maybe the boy scout trail… I dunno. I'm stumped. It's the time of year and location issue. I can do two nights with three days of hiking…. mixed in with a motel night which would be an adventure for them too. We shall see. And thanks for that bag……. toasty.

Ed

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Before doing a multi day trip…if they don't have much experience I would suggest only an overnighter. The cold is a huge factor – as is lack of daylight in winter.

Day hiking to cool places along with motel "camping" can be a great middle of the road way to do it.

Some kids are strong hikers, others are not. Yesterday I went hiking with one of my Momma Hiking Partners, hers are 4 and 8. The 8 can hike, the 4 year old…..well lets just say it took us 5 hours to walk 4 miles. Still enjoyable day out but that can be chafing on the kids who CAN walk fast. So do take them out for trips beforehand to see who can and who can't.

My oldest was doing 10 mile days at 4….but he wasn't a normal kid either.

Whatever you do end up doing plan for ways to alleviate boredom though in the dark hours. Games, activities, etc….

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

My older two are "experienced" backpackers and aren't strangers to a 10 mile day. The five year old is on her maiden voyage so were going easy for her. I'm looking for a trip with a feature like the coast or a waterway /spring to keep things interesting. The mileage is what I enjoy but for them it's a whole different ballgame obviously.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools