Topic

Sleeping Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

Even though I sold my Ultralight, i have decided to purchase an alpenlight vs all the quilts and other bags i have seen listed here.

I will start by saying I have no real experience, so take everything I say as a totally biased opinion not based on facts.

My thinking was that if I actually had to buy all those expensive down under clothes to make a 30 or 40 degree bag work for the shoulder seasons, and then of course remember to pack them, (or pack them all the time and perhaps not use them) I decided to simply get another 20 degree bag.

I read Yogi's PCT guide, and the vast majority of folks who listed their gear there used a 20 degree the entire route.

since this was also my first purchase, I figured I couldnt go but so wrong, shake the down to the bottom if it was hot, or use as quilt, or shake to top if it was cold and perhaps use extra layers (although I plant to use thermals and not down insulators).

The darn bag is close to 400, I didnt want to spend another 300 on down clothing.

Again, I have NO real experience, but since you were looking at my ultralight for sale, I just thought I would share what I decided to do, after I sold my bag.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

mark … you will need some clothing for when yr standing around camp … unless you spend all yr time in yr bag

usually a down sweater or syn equivalent (in warmth) for temps down to freezing

unless you play the hop like a bunny came till ya sleep ;)

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

paul you look like eli manning

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

If you feel really invested in spending a lot of time backpacking in the future, you'll probably find a way to justify buying another bag eventually, so it might be a better idea to buy one with a lot of versatility now that will still be a part of your system later.
    I imagine the most minimal and UL system that would handle true 4 season use would be a 10-20 degree sleeping bag like a WM Versalight, and a 30 degree quilt (check M. Verbers perfect gear page). Quilt in summer, decide according to the forecast and trip in spring and fall, bag in winter with layers or paired with quilt. I'm with Eric, go with a full zip UL 10-20 degree bag now, like a wm versalite or alpinelight and then see whats available for UL summer quilts in like a year or two. I'd bet there will be a number of great options in like the 13oz range by then, considering quilts are just starting to really catch on.

I was making the same decision a couple months ago with idea that over the next 2-3 years I'm going to try to thru hike at least 2 trails, do an extended summer trip in south america and lots of 3 season stuff here in the CO and MT rockies. I went with a katabatic sawatch. It provides about as much warmth as a 15 degree sleeping bag except its 9 oz lighter and a lot more compressible then even the lightest of the 15 degree sleeping bags. I've car camped with all my windows open in 5 degrees without extra layers and only the tips of my toes were a problem (this always seems to be a problem though!) I know thats not a good indicator for long term backpacking use, but I can tell you for sure that the 15 degree rating is accurate. So basically, if you're looking for an ideal 3 season setup I'd consider a 15-20 degree quilt. For 4 season, I'd start with a 10-20 degree bag.

Oh, the calculus of UL gear shopping!

edit: sorry, didn't see your last post, Paul. IMO, the exta 6oz is worth it, esp. if you actually intend to use it for light winter stuff. I think a 9-11 oz fill is good for three season with layers, but when you're really pushing the limits in shoulder season, its hard to know exactly how much extra to bring. For the most part I've used a WM highlight for 3 season use in the rockies for the past few years with layers. Its worked out fine, but to be on the safe side I find myself bringing a lot of extra stuff like down booties, and a warmer/heavier coat than I probably need to around camp. Even then, I'd occasionally wake up cold. Spending the extra 6oz of weight on sleeping bag down is more efficient warmth than in extra layers of cloths and it will also keep its loft better on longer trips with accumulated moisture. Also, in summer you're better able to get away with just bringing a super light vest for torso insulation which could easily make up for 6oz in the bag. Hope that helps and good luck getting your system together.

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

I second the sub kilo. I used mine every night of AT thru and although I burned up a few nights in the height of summer I wasn't cold a single night.

I also used it on Blood Mountain recently when it was only 5 degrees F wearing only a fleece and a synth jacket (although to really be comfortable I needed something on my legs other than just tights)

And finally, I love it so much I sleep in it every night at home!

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools