Topic

What “Wilderness” Means

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web What “Wilderness” Means

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I saw this article on the meaning of the word "wilderness" to people in different parts of the world. Most people don't see the natural world in the same way that Americans do. Very interesting reflections.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I think that American ideas of wilderness stem from the western expansion and the vast frontier that initially to them appeared untouched by even human hands. I personally feel a more wilderness experience the further and longer I am away from the 'civilized' world. When you can go several days (or weeks for some people) without seeing another person, you understand how wild and untamed the natural world is.

Wilderness?
    Personal caption: "Wilderness? If you have to tell them, it probably isn't."

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

No straight lines, and the sound of silence. :)

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Not sure if anyone wanted the technical definition of Wilderness Area (vs. just "wilderness"), but what the heck.

Check out the Wilderness Act of 1964. Basically, a wilderness area is an area "untrampled by man", "natural", "affected primarily by the forces of nature", "of at least 5000 acres", and "may also contain ecological, geological, or other features of scientific, educational, scenic, or historical value".

http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/documents//publiclaws/PDF/16_USC_1131-1136.pdf

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

In California, a bunch of areas were defined as being wilderness based on whether they had roads or not.

–B.G.–

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Wilderness is merely a Relative State of Mind.
    If you feel comfortable and familiar, it is not wilderness.
    If you feel out of your element, foreign, and unfamiliar … it is wilderness, even if its in the middle of a big city.

Sara C
    BPL Member

@saracr

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas

"untrampled by man", "affected primarily by the forces of nature", "of at least 5000 acres"

They don't actually apply those standards for official federal wilderness areas. Missouri would have none if that were the case.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools