Topic

Gnocchi

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Anyone cook this up on the trail? I would ideally like to cook it, douse it in olive oil and smother it with good parmesan cheese. My little snowpeak 700 wont hang much for the boiling till they float method. too small. (even with the mini gnocchi) So, does anyone have a FBC type style to using these? I'd love to hear how its worked for you. Thank you as usual for all your suggestions.

Ed

JR Redding

@grinchmt

We've just bought the fresh ones in the past and hauled them out for the first night meal. You can Gnocchi in a hundred different ways but we liked making a Butter Thyme sauce using clarified butter.

use your imagination. Whatever you can do at home you can do on the trail ;)

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

They are really good with a little ghee and fresh sage. I've never FBC'd them but we've taken fresh in for the first night (or sometimes second night in cooler weather). Why not try it FBC style in the backyard.

I've also come across gnocchi that is shelf-stable and only has an 8 minute boil time – so that might work FBC style.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Do you have Trader Joe's nearby? You can get the shelf stable version quite cheap – and they are good. They can work FBC as well.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Thank you guys. Wow You are on every thread here. I just am interested… I have the shelf stable minis. But I'm curious the amount of hot water, rehydration time etc… if someone has done it howd it go…. More interested in the fbc method of doing it but there's a dearth of information via google for this food on the trail.

Ed

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

My best answer is play with it at home first. You will want it to have plenty of water to sit in and at 10-15 minutes in a cozy or well insulated otherwise. The minis will work best.

It is the same principle behind cooking ramen and similar in a bag.

Will Webster

@willweb

Ed, have you tried it out? I'm sure that I'm not the only one who'd like to benefit from your testing.

Ben Johnson

@benlikesjazz

Locale: Waukesha pronounced Waukesha

The ones that I get are about an inch diameter or so. I cut them in half to cook quicker.

I cover them in dried tomato powder and herbs slurry and add some pepperoni. Quick, stupid, easy.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

I chickened out and didn't pack them last trip. Wife and kids consumed them handidly at home. I will take them on my next trip or just try making them at home to see how it turns out. Didn't want to take untested grub into the field. I'm the kind of cook who only takes stuff with a step by step minute by minute recipe. Just not real gifted with that.

Ed

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I make every recipe I come up with at home first. That way if needs something I have my whole kitchen there ;-)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Your original idea sounds really yummy! It might even be worth taking a slightly bigger pot! If it's good enough that it disappears at home before the trip, then it should taste good on the trip! With the next batch, practice with your stove and cooking pot on the patio, but do this before the rest of the family can eat it up! :-) Please let us know how it works out!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

My niece posted this on her blog the other day (yesterday I think)…

Beyond Peas and Carrots – Gnocchi Mac and Cheese

While not a super-lightweight meal, this could be easily modified for the trail with shelf-stable gnocchi and powdered milk. You'd have to use something like the Outback Oven Ultralight with your pot but it certainly would be yummy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools