Topic

Nesting Titanium Mugs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nesting Titanium Mugs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ryan McCulloch

@rdmcculloch1

Locale: NOVA

I'm trying to lighten the load and come up with a system for nesting 3 titanium mugs/pots, for cooking/eating/drinking.

The smallest mug I want is a snow peak 600 (because that will allow me to just fit a small gas cannister in it upside down, with my disassembled pocket rocket). The biggest I would like is an evernew 1000ml pasta pot.

Now the real question is what will nest between the two? I've tried my SP 600 inside a snow peak 700 and the 600 won't fit inside it. Will the 600 fit inside a vargo, or evernew 700, or any other suggestions, but still fit inside the evernew 1000ml pasta pot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated b/c the measurements on websites are too inaccurate to figure this out and I don't want to pay for all the shipping if I just have to return the pot because it doesn't fit.

Thanks,

Ryan

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I note three people in your avatar… are you planning to carry the cookware for all? (Please tell us you don't want 3 pots for yourself, one to cook, one to eat, one to drink!)

If you're thinking for three people, and the third is your kid, then I would suggest that you probably don't need a 3rd for the kid. Doesn't look old enough to eat much volume, could feed from your bigger pot. Alternatively, mom can carry her 5-oz pot and you can carry a smaller mug for junior, ie a 450ml-ish, along with your bigger one… or mom can carry the small mug, you carry the two bigger, whatever.

I'm betting you're not able to nest 3 pots varying 600-1000ml in this configuration. That said, the Evernew 0.6L, 0.9L & 1.3L UL Ti (short) pots do all stack nicely…

Ryan McCulloch

@rdmcculloch1

Brad,
    Thanks for the thoughts. Actually the third mug would be for my son. He's three now, and crazy as it sounds, he eats more than I do at many meals. And it would be nice for us to each have our own mug for hot drinks. But pack volume is really limited for us (with trying to get all his gear in my pack as well as some of my wife's) so getting three that will nest would be really valuable for me as opposed to carrying mugs separately. And I appreciate the thoughts on the nesting pots, but I really want some in more of a "mug" form since its so much easier to use for drinking from.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

Ryan- I know you want Ti, but GSI has aluminum nesting cook sets that might fill your bill

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/halulite_microdualist/camp_cookware/

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find 3 handled single-wall mugs in that narrow of a volume range. I understand your desire and volume concerns, but have in the past found myself banging my head against a wall when there's a much easier solution to my perceived problem. In other words, it's pretty easy to stuff a bunch of food inside a pot… in that way, the pot takes up little to no more volume than the food itself. Taking this approach might save you some strife.

If you plan on boiling water in one vessel only, you could combine the Evernew 1L Pasta Pot, the Snowpeak H860 double wall (can't boil in it), & the Snowpeak 600 single wall or double wall will fit in the H860.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Evernew makes a whole series of Ti pots that nest: http://www.evernewamerica.com/products.htm

Good luck finding them at one supplier! An email to Evernew might be worth it.

http://www.evernewamerica.com/img/EV_USA09320.pdf

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Evernew stuff is interesting; pretty easy to find at one supplier if you go to antigravitygear.com. However, in the tall-aspect diameter pots there aren't really 3 that fit, and to get the full stacking bit the OP would have to go over a liter in volume. Wouldn't hurt contacting AGG to see if they had some pieces laying around you could make work, though…

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

One big pot to cook meals for all of you plus three ziplock bowls. The ziplock bowls weigh less than an ounce each and nest perfectly. Put the 8 ounce gas canister inside the ziplock bowls that go inside your pot.

Ryan McCulloch

@rdmcculloch1

I stopped by REI tonight, and I have a possible solution. The evernew stacking set (750ml with a 400ml mug that stacks on the bottom) will fit inside the 1L pasta pot, its just about 1/8" to tall, but I can deal with that. Plus, I can fit in a small cannister and my pocket rocket (disassembled). This will replace my current GSI dualist kit, with weight savings somewhere in the 10-12oz range, and it will take up a lot less space. Plus it gives good options for solo trips, or just my wife and I going – just leave a mug or two behind. And, we all have things we can use as a mug that have handles and we can drink out of or eat out of.

Still thinking about it, and looking at some of the options others have presented here. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Since your son eats almost as much as you, would losing ~35% of the volume w/the smallest mug (vs a 600ml) work for you?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Regarding freezer bag cooking, I don't think we know enough at this point to confidently recommend it, particularly for children. Time will tell, but I think it's a safer bet to continue your search for titanium ware. My 2 cents.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I have the Snow Peak 700, 900, and 1400, and they nest nicely. We often carry them all when backpacking as a family. My daughter carries a plastic insulated mug, too, so we all have a mug, and a larger pot for cooking.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Suggestion. Take one titanium pot to boil water, and then take three nesting plastic bowls. That will be a very light solution. My plastic bowls are recycled food containers (dried dates) and they hold about 15 fluid ounces each. They weigh about 1/2 ounce each. The cost is zero, if you like to eat dates.

–B.G.–

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

@katpierini

Regarding freezer bag cooking, I don't think we know enough at this point to confidently recommend it, particularly for children. Time will tell, but I think it's a safer bet to continue your search for titanium ware. My 2 cents.

Can you clarify what you mean? Are you saying freezer bag cooking may be unsafe? I haven't heard anything like that before.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools