Topic

Anyone use Seattle Fabrics Spinnaker Cloth?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Anyone use Seattle Fabrics Spinnaker Cloth?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

For a tent or tarp?

Its 3/4 ounce per square yard, $12.50 per yard

They say it's too loud for a tent but I wonder about this

It has a DWR coating, not silicone, so I wonder how much it leaks rain

Silicone coated spinnaker cloth isn't available

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Jerry,
    Don't waste your money. It will leak plenty.
    As for noise, most of the spins are about as stiff and noisy as you can get. IMO, cuben is only about half as noisy. I think SF will send you samples for around $2.
    Please check to see they are at least a foot square, and test before you buy. I use 9" embroidery hoops over bait buckets, and wait for a big rain or two, or three. I have learned much more from this approach than I ever did using a hose. Of course, we get plenty of rainstorms here.
    It is frustrating that there are no very light weight polyesters available to DIYers on the market that are supple and water resistant enough for a tent. I am experimenting with Epic Malibu treated with Aksto silicone spray and getting very good results. And no noise for sure. OWF has recently had Malibu, but it is very dark. too much so for a tent I could live in.
    Some of the tent manufacturers use very light coated polyesters, so they are out there.
    If you can't wait, try cuben. No sag, only moderately noisy, and much lighter than anything else.
    Sam

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools