Topic

JMT late Aug. early Sept. 2011

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips JMT late Aug. early Sept. 2011

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jason Ward

@jason2010

Locale: East Bay

Planning to hike the JMT from Reds Meadow to Whitney Portal late Aug. or early Sept. in 2011. Planning to resupply at Vermilain Resort and again in Independance. Looking for best option to get myself from Onion Valley to Independance or would like to find a single mid point resupply. It looks to me as if the only option in the mid point is to be resupplied by a pack company and cost prohibits me from doing this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Jason Ward

@jason2010

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

how do you intend to get to Reds Meadow? If you have a car you need roughly 1/2 day to leave yourself a resupply at the Onion Valley trailhead. If you have an entire day you can hike in and leave yourself a cache in the vicinity of Bullfrog Lake (not legal, but doable).

Both of these options is better than hiking out to Onion Valley and then finding a ride into Independence only to find there is nothing there and you really need to hitch into Bishop or Lone Pine.

Actually, getting a ride into Independence is not that difficult, nor is getting a ride up/down Hwy 395. But I highly recommend (provided you have your own vehicle) taking at least the 1/2 day to leave your own cache at Onion Valley.

Jason Ward

@jason2010

Thanks Steve,
    I am planning to drive to Whitney Portal, hitch into Lone Pine and catching ESTA bus to Mammoth Lakes and use town shuttle and Reds Meadow shuttle to reach Reds Meadow. Caching food at Onion Valley Trailhead on the way instead of trying to get into town is a great idea. I will look into the best way to stach food there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jason Ward

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

There are bear boxes at Onion Valley CG but they are for the exclusive use of the campers at each site. There are more boxes along the north side of the parking lot near the bathrooms, and these are open for anyone to use or abuse. Be advised they are also right out in the full sun all day so they turn into ovens.

The Onion Valley Pack Station holds resupply boxes for a fee. Contact Dee Berner at [email protected] for details.

Jason Ward

@jason2010

Thanks Bob,
    I am greatful for the info.
    Jason

Jason Ward

@jason2010

I have investigated more and found Parchers Resort over Bishop Pass. I am wondering if anyone used there service, what they thought of it. I am hoping to resupply and recharge camara batteries there. There office is close til Jan.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

According to Ned Tibbits on the PCT_List forum……..

"The next worthy resupply route to consider is out via Bishop Pass from its intersection in LeConte Canyon to Parchers Resort a mile down the road from the eastside trail head. Jared, the manager of the resort, is more than happy to accommodate all thru hikers heading up the trail. He will hold your boxes, take you into town (Bishop), offer an inexpensive bunkhouse to "crash" in for a room, there is a laundry facility just down the road, and they have wireless internet (I believe). Good folks, good food, too!"

http://www.ParchersResort.net

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools