Topic

Climashield ratings again

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Climashield ratings again

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Sorry about asking this again, but want to make sure I get this right.

I read through some info here and online
    and looked through the CLO numbers and am a warm sleeper.

Want to build a 20dF inner quilt with a closed footbox and a 40dF topper/summer bag.

From what I have found 5 oz climashield should take me down to 20-25dF and 2.5 oz climashield should be good for 45dF.

Any guesses on the combo ?? I figure maybe 10-15.

For a Hammock UQ down to 20 what would I need for the bottom. I am thinking probably 2 layers of 3.7oz combat.

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

I guess it's always all personal. I made a hammock underquilt with a layer of 5 oz. climashield, and I personally would trust it down to no lower than 30. I have a top quilt from the 2.5 oz. weight and I would use it no lower than 50.

So that's my two cents!

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

50dF for 2.5 is good. I want it mostly for a summer bag anyway.

If 5oz works at 30Df for a bottom quilt I would think 7.5 oz or a layer of 5+2.5 should be good to 20dF.

Thanks

Robert Coleman

@jbo_c

I wouldn't take my CS 5oz quilt out below 30 without additional clothing or other layers.

Jbo

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Troy,

That's a lot of bulk you're looking at. I too made a climashield top quilt for summer out of 2.5 oz stuff. I think that's a perfect use for it, because a down quilt is hard to make that thin. However, I wouldn't want to pack any more climashield than that.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Troy, I think a couple people might be suggesting the same thing you wrote in your OP, though differed with your self:

You said you thought a double layer of 3.7oz might take your UQ to 20F, but that you thought a single layer of 5oz would be good for a 20F quilt. Doesn't jive.

Personal experience, 5oz isn't gonna hit 20F at all. Maybe 7.2oz, I dunno. Also note other Climashield options under "insulation" at OWF.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I don't know the ins and outs of insulating hammocks but on the ground with pads providing > R5 beneath me a quilt that keeps me warm at 40F over another that's kept me warm at 30F is OK to 0-5F.

The 40F quilt uses 2.5oz XP that has been augmented with a partial additional layer in areas where it is thinner than the other areas … averages 3oz.

The 30F quilt uses 6oz Primaloft One, which should be warmer than 5oz XP. It might be good below 30F but I haven't found the right night to confirm that.

The two together leaves me cool enough to wake up and not get back to sleep at slightly below 0F.

I would expect that you'll want the hammock under-quilt to be as warm as what's needed on top

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools