Topic

JMT/SHR Loop – Tuolumne Meadows to Thousand island Lake

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports JMT/SHR Loop – Tuolumne Meadows to Thousand island Lake

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Route Overview – PCT/JMT from Tuolumne Meadows to Thousand Island Lake. Use trail around lake and follow the Sierra High Route (Roper’s Book) over Glacier Lake Pass travelling by Twin Island Lakes and Bench Canyon before crossing Blue Lake Pass back into Yosemite. Continue cross country and pick up Isberg pass trail and head over Vogelsang Pass back to Tuolumne Meadows.

When 9/24-26/10

Distance – 58 Miles. 38 trail and 20 cross country

Elevation Gain – 9600'

Max Elevation – 11,300'

Lyell Canyon
    Lyell Canyon looking south toward Mt. Lyell (13,114’) and Donahue Pass (11,040’)

Donahue Pass
    Looking north from climb toward Donahue Pass at 10k’ – Lyell Canyon in center.

Mt Lyell
    Mt Lyell from Donahue Pass

Mammouth Mountain
    Looking south from Donahue Pass – Mammoth Mountain in center

thousand island lake
    Thousand Island Lake (9850’) with Mt Banner (12,864’) and Ritter (12936’) in Background

glacier lake pass
    Glacier Lake Pass from the east.

Mt Banner
    Mt Banner with Lake Catherine (Glacier between Banner and Ritter)

twin Island Lakes
    Twin Island Lakes

Bench Canyon
    Bench Canyon Area

blue lakes
    Blue Lake(s) from climb up Blue lake Pass

talus heaven
    Talus Heaven? – Looking up at West side of Blue Lake Pass

clark range
    West side of Blue Lake Pass – Clark Range in evening

merced drainage
    Merced drainage with Clark Range in Background

vogelsang meadow
    Overused trail from Vogelsang HSC to Tuolumne Meadows

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Great Pics! Thanks for sharing, I really need to get to the Sierras someday.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Thanks, Greg, and ditto to Bradford's comments.

Fellow Sierra hikers should consider doing loop hikes including segments of the SHR. I completed one hiking north out of Tuolumne. (somewhere I posted a report here, I think)
    For first timers on the SHR, as I was, I would suggest to plan for extra time, meaning more time than you would normally plan for a hike all on trails. Progress can be slow, because you often have to watch steps carefully, or bushwack. The terrain just dictates slower going. Note Greg's photo of the west side of Blue Lake Pass. The rewards are well worth the effort, but my daughter and I were both relieved when we got back on a trail. I cannot imagine any place more beautiful to hike than the Sierras!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Nice pictures Greg! That's a great area to visit…Any bears cross your path?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Greg, how difficult was the terraing heading from Lake Catherine down past the waterfalls. I would love to do that loop, but from what I have read, the going is a little tricky with the route finding

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Nice, thanks.
    I've got my eye on a thru of the SHR in the next year…

Dave T

@davet

Ken,

That section wasn't too bad. I was kinda expecting more class 2+ kinda stuff, and we didn't really have much of an issue. Might have just found the best way down by accident, but I'd say no big deal.

Dave.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Nice route, nice photos, inspiring. Thanks.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

No bears but a bunch of deer.

The route was very straightforward with two exceptions.
    1) After twin Island lake you hit a lake referenced in the book at 10,200. Leaving the lake you go over a slight ridge and hit a small stream. The book is not real clear here. What it should say is to cross the stream and continue up the ridge.before traversing around and over to the dark bluff. I kept wanting to go down or straight around and lost a bit of time in that section. Once you hit the bluff it is very easy to find blue lake pass.
    2) Finding the Isberg Pass trail is accurrately described in the book. I walked right over it and only found it by zooming in the GPS and wandering about.

There was no bushwacking on this section and this would make a great introduction to the High Route. Mile for Mile it was much easier than the southern 100 miles and likely you will have the place to yourself.

As far as how many days. I easily did it in three shortened days but I met someone on the Isberg Trail that was doing it in 8. There are so many great places to camp there, Bench Canyon, Twin Island Lakes, Lyell Creek, 1000 Island that you could take your time if you're more the relaxing type.

Craig, Take your time if you are going to thru hike it. My son and I did a 12 day attempt and bailed after 7 days and a little over 100 miles. It is mentally exhausting doing the multiple passes per day and it just stopped being fun after bushwacking from Evolution to Snow Tongue Pass, climbing down that gem and then crossing endless talus. Another day we crossed 4 passes with Mather being the easiest. It really wears on you. But it goes through some sweet terrain.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

What you describe is exactly why I want to thru-hike it!

I'm certainly not underestimating it, it sounds tough.

I remember reading Andrew Skurka's report…"Mile for mile, the SHR is the most demanding 3-season hiking experience I have had." (From his website's SHR trip report). Given his resume at the time, I think that certainly says something.

Aside from fairly intensive training and planning, I think finding a partner of will pose one of the biggest challenges…not sure I'd want to do it solo.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Beautiful Greg, well done!

I grazed the south end of your path (Isberg Pass and surroundings) late August and have to say, you had much better weather :-) Going to dig out the maps and figure out some details on your route, because I want to get back onto the high trail that parallels the Merced to the east, below Lyell. Spectacular and lightly traveled Yosemite backcountry–we went days between seeing other folks.

Cheers,

Rick

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

Dave,
    would like to get some more info on the SHR. Drop me a PM so I can pick your brain! Thanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools