Topic

Suggestions for next trips dinner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Suggestions for next trips dinner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I am looking for suggestions for a dinner for my next overnight backpacking trip. I always seem to get in a rut and eat the same thing all the time and I know a lot of you have some great food ideas. Here is what I am looking for:

1. I prefer a no mess, FBC meal
    2. It has to use 12oz of water or less
    3. It has to use ingredients that I can buy at the local standard grocery store
    4. I don’t have a dehydrator, so that is out.

Thanks for the help!

Brad

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

instant mashed potatoes with a can/foil of smoked oysters

couscous with can/foil chicken

instant soup mixes. I will add some kind of meat/chicken to it.

packs of Knorrs noodles or rice seem to work well

refried beans (Fanstatic Foods brand in organic section)and add to some taco shells with shredded cheese and salsa packets

if there is a Whole Foods/Fresh Market they may have bulk bins of items that are already dehydrated. You can also order some dehydrated items from Harmony House

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Lots of recipes here:

http://www.trailcooking.com/ Sarbar's website

http://www.onepanwonders.com/ Dicentra's website

http://www.wildernesscooking.com/ Laurie Ann March's website

All three are contributors here.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the mention Mary. I'm not sure that my recipes would be up his alley as many do require drying the foods. I believe one ends up with better tasting fare that way. That said, you don't need a dehydrator… the oven will suffice.

Edited for a spelling correction… lol… I am nothing without my editor.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Sorry for not getting back to you, we were traveling the Smokies this week and a half!
    I gotta say though my go to easy meal is instant rice, pouched chicken, gravy mix and cranberries. Tasty!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Thanks to everyone for your help, I found several Freezer Bag Cooking meals that are mashed potato based that I am trying. I will also have to try the rice/chicken/gravy/cranberries meal sometime as well.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

One of my favorites from Sarah's website is the chicken curry cranberry couscous (I may have the order of the name wrong but those are the main ingredients). Aside form the chicken pouch, I had everything else I needed in the house. No dehydrating and all simple, readily available ingredients.

Another staple for me is a quick-cooking noodle (or substitue rice or couscous), a tuna packet, some pistachio pieces, some grated pamersean cheese and a packet of the pesto powder mix (found in the dry powdered suace area of the grocery store). I throw all the dry ingredients in the baggie together at home. In camp, pour in the needed water for the couscous, maybe a little extra to get the pesto sauce runny, some olive oil, then add the tuna/chicken and boom! Ready to eat.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/curried-chicken-cranberry-couscous

Hope that was the one you were thinking of :-)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools