Topic

Advice on Rain skirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Advice on Rain skirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Richard Rini
    BPL Member

@rarini

Locale: Southeast

Can anybody give me some advice on fabricating a rain skirt from eVent material?

I have a sufficient amount to easily make a rain skirt. Once I got the fabric in my hands it became apparent that it may be designed to be coupled with (layered) another material. It just seems a bit fragile and that lends me to believe it is an inner layer??

Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Ric

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Richard,

given eVent's price and how great it performs, I wouldn't use it for a rain skirt at all. Go with silnyon 2nds, etc.

The skirt will breathe by default since it is open at the bottom. Therefore the strength of eVent (breathability) is unnecessary. I'd hate to shred eVent on thorns when another fabric will do the job.

Come to think of it, just send it all to me!!!! :)

Let us know what you decide, and post pics!

Todd

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

What about using the polycryo storm window material, like the Gossamer Gear ground cloth?
    Very light, inexpensive, reasonably strong and can double as a ground cloth.

Maybe attach elastic belt with clear plastic tape?

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Locale: San Francisco, CA

The garbage bag method.

As The Crow Flies» Blog Archive » Gear Review:Garbage bag rain skirt. http://bit.ly/hC2I6r

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I got the idea from Crow:-)

The polycryo would be as light if not lighter than a trash bag, but far more durable and can double as a ground cloth. That stuff is pretty tuff for it's weight.

I always tend to rip trash bags too easy.

I just now found that I was able to wrap a 42" X 96" plycryo sheet around my waist and just tie a knot in the corners. It stayed on and worked very well. No bungee or other method to hold it in place was needed.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It takes 96 inches to go around your waist?

–B.G.–

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Regarding the 96" length, that is the length that it comes in and a good length for a ground cloth in my shelter.

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

What do you guys think about a Cuben Rain Skirt? I have some Cuben (CT2K.08) left over from another project and thought I could use this for a Rain Skirt. If I would do so, I would pair it with some chaps as well but I’m worried about the strength of the Cuben. Would it be puncture resistant enough? With regards to abrasion, I thought of using a small patch of the lightest Cordura I can find at the lower end of the chaps, especially on the in-side, just like gaiters have. I would wait to find out how the Cuben behaves and, when time comes and it would work out to be necessary, I would glue (or sew) this patch afterwards.

And…… How would you cinch it around the waist? Thought about making a hem and use some narrow elastic braid like this (http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Braids/Elastics/Elastic-braid-010mm::526.html), or maybe a thin shock cord but…… Wouldn’t that tear the Cuben hem?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .
    Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

Hi Chris,

Thanks – I know Joe’s kilt, but he uses the “heavy duty” Cuben (1.26 oz/sqyd) and all I have is the lighter stuff (CT2K.08), which I think is “only” .75 (27 gr/m2). That’s why I’m worried about it not being puncture resistant enough (not that much about the skirt, it’s the chaps that are more prone to failures in this aspect).

Anyone tried making a skirt / chaps with CT2K.08 and is willing to share experience?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

The TrailLite Designs CloudKilt will also be available in white .74 cuben early in 2011.

Thom
    TrailLite Designs

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

I just received Joe's cloud kilt (designed by TrailLite Designs) today. Looking forward to using it in the field. I had/have the ULA rain wrap kilt too but in a prolonged rain, it would get so wet, it was like wearing a wet towel. I think cuben fiber is more waterproof (it is not porous), so I hope it will serve better as a kilt in a real rain situation than the ULA one.

I also like the kilt as a foot towel, sitting towel, when taking a break.

Last, Joe's kilt is 1/2 the weight of the ULA Rain wrap (but more expensive though).

Last, it does serve as a modesty wrap when bathing too.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Hey Roleigh,

I don't think you'll see much of a reduction in the wetness going from silnylon to cuben. They are both waterproof materials.

Most of the wetness I experience under a skirt is from splash and condensation. There just isn't any way to get away from that. The beauty of a skirt is that it blocks the wind reducing chill and the open bottom allows water to drain out and the extra ventilation reduces the condensation.

Trash bag, silnylon, cuben, or breathable fabric wouldn't make much difference.

Cuben of course is the best material for it's strength and weight.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools