Topic

Umpteenth Alcohol Stove Variation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Umpteenth Alcohol Stove Variation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Francois (unknown)
    BPL Member

@francoisdotnet

Stats for boiling 500ml (2 cups) of tap water:
    Boil time: 6:28 min (indoor environment)
    Fuel: Methanol
    Fuel Used: 19ml
    Pot Used: GSI Halulite Minimalist
    Stove Weight: 64g (2.3oz) (including pot stand and windshield)

Alcohol Stove - Making Coffee!
    * Mini BiC in the photo

F

Kim Clements

@wrestling_dad

Locale: Ohio

I love chimney stoves, especially 2 wall designs like yours. One inherent issue of this type of stove is that it makes a tall stove/pot combo, potentially being unstable. That is why the Caldera cone (not unstable)is so tall.

I've made a design almost exactly the same but with lighter bottles. My inside wall that holds the fuel went all the way to the top and fit snugly inside the outer wall.

Your design looks great but does seem heavy for an alcohol stove. Could you make it shorter? How much fuel can it hold? What do the screws and small bolt do? Hold it together? What is the weight without the windscreen?

Francois (unknown)
    BPL Member

@francoisdotnet

Thanks for your thoughts Kim.

Could you make it shorter?
    I could, obviously sacrificing fuel capacity. Because it has a fairly large base I haven't felt that is unstable – definitely not more unstable than a canister stove.

How much fuel can it hold?
    Currently around 18ml but that can definitely be improved: sealing (or removing) the screw holes and using a wider inner. What would you consider a acceptable volume?

What is the weight without the windscreen?
    38g (1.3oz)

Kim Clements

@wrestling_dad

Locale: Ohio

At 1.3 ozs. it is not that heavy.

Many alcohol stoves hold an ounce. It really depends on how you like to cook and have your hot beverage. If you freezerbag cook and don't drink coffee, tea, or hot chocolate, then 18 ml (.6 oz.)is plenty. Or you could just refill it once it goes out for your beverage.

I will try to dig my stove out and post a picture. I don't remember why I don't use it. I've made many types as it sounds like you have.

I think chimney type stoves are great. I don't like stoves that have to prime or heat up as well as those that don't need to. Plus, this stove is easy to light, fuel efficient, and hot.

Have you played around with the pot stand height? In the picture it looks like the pot might be too close. If you have more hardware cloth, I would make another pot support one square higher and see if that changes the boil time +/-.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools