Topic

UL bike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities UL bike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The Interbike show was held in Las Vegas, and an ultralightweight bike was displayed.

How about a fully equipped 20 speed road worthy bicycle that weighs an incredible 6 pounds?

The frame and most of the components are a mixture of carbon fiber and titanium. Even the gears were made of carbon fiber. There was no paint, since that would have added weight. The brake cables were made of Kevlar.

Cost for the prototype, $100,000, and they hope to get it down to $45,000 in full production.

…And you thought backpacking gear was pricey!

–B.G.–

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

REEEEEEEEEdiculous.

Ok, yes, there probably was a lot of energy and manpower put into the design, and yes, the materials are expensive…But $45,000? Maybe I'm completely in the dark about what it takes to machine titanium, mold carbon fiber, and work with kevlar, but that still seems incredibly high.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Won't be too surprised to soon see someone riding one on one of my next tri workouts.

Or more likely a well-groomed Saudi Prince spectating at the next Tour of Qatar.

I'm seeing so many $8000 bikes out there these days that $45K won't be too much of a stretch soon.

Piotr Antkowiak

@piotr_antkowiak

Locale: Poland
    Chas Ho

@i_charles

I have one of those 10 speed ultralite Schwinns from the 70s? Got it for the price of a few hours work. Not sure how much it weighs but I could probably walk a mile or two with it on my shoulders. I will let it go for 10K. Haha

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

But all the drag of my 25lb Fisher.

At those speeds its all about the aerodynamics.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools