Topic

4 person backpacking shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 4 person backpacking shelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Eberhard

@eberjef

Locale: Bay Area

Matt,

I have both a Hogback and and MLD SuperMid. I love them both, but if you want a floor and full bugnet to fit 4 people, the Hogback is the way to go, at least in my experience.

The SuperMid is spacious enough for 4 people, but only if you don't use the InnerNet. My SuperMid is great when I take my two boys — they dig the no floor thing. When my daughter comes along, she doesn't like bugs, or even the thought of bugs crawling on her at night. But the Mid/InnerNet will only fit three comfortably.

At 65 ounces, the Hogback gives you truly enough space for 4 with all the advantages of a typical tent. It just works.

My two cents.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Jeff what's the Hogback like in the wind? Thanks.

Jeff Eberhard

@eberjef

Locale: Bay Area

Jason,

Good question. Short answer: I don't know yet. I've only taken it out a couple of time, and the wind was never strong.

Obviously, a pyramid is going to be better than the Hogback in the wind. But with proper site selection and guying out, I think the Hogback will do fine to 30-40 mph. Just a guess.

I look at the Hogback as the family tent — easy trips, no expectation of extreme conditions. But I think it would do fine in a strong storm. I just wouldn't put it on a ridgeline.

Franco would probably be able to give a much better answer about this.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I haven't had my Hogback out in winds greather than 10 mph. I agree with everything Jeff said. For any sustained wind over 20 mph, I'd want to use the four extra guyout points (for which stakes and lines aren't included). For over 40 mph, guying out the very top pole guyout point might give it a chance.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Obviously, a pyramid is going to be better than the Hogback in the wind."

I think guyed out this would not be true. I think of the hooped design and how ideal it is for windy European climates. It has been 'copied' time and time again.

I think people are overestimating what a tall pyramid can do.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

"I think people are overestimating what a tall pyramid can do."

I don't agree with this part of your statement.

Lots of "tall mids" in Antarctica.

http://questacon.typepad.com/polarpassport/2007/04/the_tent.html

"They are proven as strong, safe and reasonably comfortable in the worst conditions, and are used by almost every country conducting research expeditions in Antarctica."

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/living_and_working/virtual/travel/rfield.php

http://www.antarctica.gov.au/living-and-working/field-operations/tents-shelters-and-huts/tents/polar-pyramid-tents

"The polar pyramid, if properly pitched and well-secured, will withstand winds of up 100 km/hour in full blizzard conditions. It relies on its pyramid shape for stability and on the load of snow packed on its valance. "

David Ure

@familyguy

I stand corrected. The Pyramid IS the best shelter available. It obviously cuts through the wind like a hot knife through butter, offers the most space, and is stronger than any poled design.

Obviously a low profile shelter will not do as well in the wind.

Gotta go wash my Hummer. Later.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Sarcasm noted.

Gotto go clean the Mauser. (Actually cut some tarps out
    and work on tax reporting.)

The following is not sarcasm:

I love those sketchups earlier in the thread.

Henry is a great guy, buy several of his tents.

A couple of Ron's too.

David Ure

@familyguy

Exactly – gear needs company.

Cheers.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

FWIW, I've regularly slept (& comfortably) 2 people per side of the center pole in a 9×9 mid. Actually, it's usually been two people on one half, 2 shepherd mixes and all the gear on the other side, plenty of room to spare. Real hard to beat a mid for space to weight. That said, the Hogback looks like a great tent.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Thanks for the feedback. The Hogback looks like it would be a great family shelter for three or four of us, will definitely be looking into in the next year or so.

David seems to me to have a bit of a thing about mids :). I can't really comment, as I haven't had my Duomid out in high winds yet, so I might end up agreeing with him. I am planning to climb a hill near my house on the next windy day and give it a try out. Wellington NZ where I live is notorious for strong winds and the hill I plan to plan to try it out on is one of the windiest places I have found. I do know of one UK Duomid user who wasn't happy with high wind performance in exposed places. Many others, however, seem very happy.

The Hogback would be very much a family shelter for us, so I wouldn't need maximum high wind performance anyway. I was just curious, as I don't know of many tents of this design in this size.

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

Franco we need a you tube video of the hogbak setup , walk around and demo of sleeping mats inside . I love your videos they are great. Thanks

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Wow is it true if you get the MLD mid 295 then another 195 for netting so your going to be over 500 about the price of the golite S5 ?

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Agree David. I own a DuoMid and it is not a bomber wind resistant shelter. It is a good shelter and stands upright in strong winds but the shelter gets battered and knocked about and it has limits. The Arctic shelter people mention are heavy canvass models with multi point guy lines and massive thick poles to support them. Royal Marine Commandoes put them up for the UK Government Survey teams in the Arctic regions.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi Jason – actually I do like pyramids. I own both a MLD SoloMid and a Trailstar.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Hi Jason – actually I do like pyramids. I own both a MLD SoloMid and a Trailstar.

Ah, so you do have a bit of a thing about mids :)).

Interesting Trailstar review here if you haven't already seen it http://www.stevenhorner.com/?p=1003

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

nice site and review of the tarp/pyramid tent.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

One variable in the comparison between the pyramid and tents I think worth considering is the ability to stand — or almost stand — in a pyramid. It is very important to us, either in the pyramid or when setting a flat tarp. We like to be able to stand instead of sit. Anyone else care?

Fluffing for the night

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

that is true. I have never had a tarp/ tent that I could stand in or almost stand. i have always had to wiggle to get dressed or sit indian style and only have inches to my head. I wish I could find a tee pee that had the sewn in bug screen and floor. I wouldn't be opposed to the tyvac floor I guess but for those who use a Teepee what do you sleep on other then just your air mattress?

I emailed Owareusa on there tee pee setups and asked if he had a sown in floor model He reply was this:

I don't have any with sewn in floors. Partly a flammability issue, (don't
    want anyone trapped in a mid if they catch fire.

Dave

I thought all materials had to be fire retardant?

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

pyramid oware
    9×9

Love this image.looks like there is alot of room in there. You have some great shots on your flicker page. I take it you are a big fan tarp/pyramid camping? How do you get your wife past the floorless thing ?

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

I've been a tarp and bivy fan in the past 15 years since returning to Southeast Alaska. the rain forest convinced me that we need circulation and space; both are available under a tarp and pyramid. The bivy is a necessity in the summer because of the flying and crawling insects.

My wife is tough when it comes to long distance kayaking and backpacking, but is not a great fan of spiders and so the bivy. And after a week or so in the wilderness I don't smell very good, so the bivy system is a plus. She showers and washes her hair at streams and always seems to smell pretty good. Sometimes I wish we did have a tent ;-).

The real reason Eve went along with the tarps and pyramids is simple. They are lighter and we can move faster and longer with lighter gear, whether on the ocean or in the forest. We regularly paddle 25-30 miles a day.

I noticed someone crawled through the flickr stream today and assume it was you. Thanks for looking.

Tarp Camp

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Joseph,

That was probably me. My wife and I spent over an hour last night drooling over your hiking/kayaking photos. Beautiful. Makes us long to go back. The 12 days we spent in AK were not nearly enough.

I've been watching this thread because I often pondered how I could get my love to move to a lighter shelter (ie tarp). Looks like tents would have been difficult in many of the places you hung your tarp. So which do you like better? Your tarp or your pyramid?

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Brian said…
    Joseph,

That was probably me. My wife and I spent over an hour last night drooling over your hiking/kayaking photos. Beautiful. Makes us long to go back. The 12 days we spent in AK were not nearly enough.

I've been watching this thread because I often pondered how I could get my love to move to a lighter shelter (ie tarp). Looks like tents would have been difficult in many of the places you hung your tarp. So which do you like better? Your tarp or your pyramid?

Not wanting to hijack Matt's thread here, but….

1. 12 days in Alaska isn't enough time. Come to Southeast and I can point you in the right direction for some great beach or alpine hiking. Paddling is unlimited.

2. I like them both. The tarp for summer nights to watch the ocean or spring to see the stars. The Pyramid for fall and winter to ward off the rain and snow.

Chilkoot trail Tarp
    Tarp Camp at Bare Loon Lake, Chilkoot Trail

Kayaking Pyramid

Pyramid Tarp Camp

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

No worries on the hijack we are talking tarps, pyramids, and lightweight 4 person shelters still. I poked around your site to. Great flikr photos snagged one for the thread.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

We have OWare draw cord bivies (6ounces) and still have our heavy GoreTex OR bivies (2lbs) though they are seldom used. We don't have a floor but instead use a ground tarp out of the kayaks and tyvek or a solo tarp when walking.

Tarp Camp

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools