Topic

1.5 Ounce Odor Proof Bear Bag Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 1.5 Ounce Odor Proof Bear Bag Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

In looking around for making my bear bag kit SUL, I saw many good ideas but nothing that exactly matched with what I wanted. I very much like the idea of a fully odor-proof container but I see no point in putting a bag inside of another bag. The kits with 40' of rope seem to do so only to save weight yet others report 50' is far better since limbs aren't always ideally placed. The luxury of a rock sack seems like weight well spent to me. With all this in mind I stripped what was left down to the bare essentials.

The full kit packed in the rock sack with room to spare – 44 grams
    The packed kit - 44 grams!

The kit laid out
    Itemized Kit

The test food load – 54 oz of chick peas :)
    :)” height=”733″ src=”https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1285620010_30937.jpg” width=”550″ />

During Test
    Test

In retrospect the only thing I would change is to make the grosgrain loop longer perhaps 8" and move the tape sections down away from the top corner another inch or so. This would eliminate the tendency to peel when the OPSak is very fully loaded and the corner wants to taper more rapidly than does the grosgrain. I stitched the grosgrain shut with some Gutterman thread to prevent this peeling.

If the load stays put overnight, I'm going to repeat the test from a tree in my backyard for 24 hours.

EDIT: Spelling mistake

Eric Thompson
    BPL Member

@er0ck

Locale: PNW

sorry to open an old thread, but this is fantastic!

did you ever end up testing this in an actual hang?

have a close up of the attachment for the gros-grain? the cuben tape sticks to gros-grain??

Loren Baginski

@bags4266

Very nice,you could lose a little more weight by losing the biner and using a soft shackle made from some zing it.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

The nacrabiner was a great recommendation. I've actually switched my cord to Joe's new 1.4 mm Z-Line Slick which saved me 6.0 grams over the 1.5 mm Z-Line that I was previously using. I took 1' off the end of the new rope to make a nacrabiner to replace my Mini-D carabiner and it works great!

Open Nacrabiner

Closed Nacrabiner

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools