Topic

MYOG Prettylight pack: Success

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Prettylight pack: Success

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Nice Job on the craftsmanship! I also like the color.

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

Great work, Dave. To your question about a frame:
    I recently made a ~5800 cu inch basecamp load monster that included a frame made out of a sheet of HDPE and two aluminum tubes, bent into a slight S shape and zip-tied with tiny zip ties through slots in the plastic sheet. This allowed me to seat the aluminum tubes right under the load lifters (so the load lifters pulled down right onto the tubes and the transferred to load directly to the hip area, where they slotted into a little webbing tube). I've heard you can fill tubes with sand and then bend them (to prevent kinking), but I just carefully supported mine on the exterior and bent them slightly. No problems. And the things carries beautifully (please don't ban me from BPL based on these weights – they included lots of shared gear with non-ULers and mountaineering gear!): 40-50 lbs quite comfortably, and up around 60-65 the frame does well, but my shoulder straps aren't thick enough. You can get aluminum tubes and plastic sheets from McMaster Carr.
    And again…nice work on the pack!

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I like your pack it looks pretty nice. I Like how you made every thing even the shoulder straps and also made them out of different density of foam.
    I also noticed you seam taped the the panels were you sew through to keep the pack water proof. But I have noticed on your pack and also the North Fork pack Designed by Dave Chenault.

You both did not edge tape all the seams with cross grain ribbon.

Almost every backpack manufacture that make packs tapes all seams on all their backpacks with cross grain ribbon to make a stronger seams and to protect the seam to make the pack more durable.

I Noticed you both used a lock stitch or zig zag stitch instead.Is this to save weight? Or did you add the cross grain ribbon edge taping after the photos?

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools