Topic

Small Mirror

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Small Mirror

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Julian Watson

@juleswatson

Hi folks,

I'm about to get back into wearing contacts, and find that I need a mirror to put them in.

Any MYOG / cheap purchase ideas for a small hand mirror which is light and not made of glass ?

Thanks in advance, Jules.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Carry a compass with a sighting mirror. Works for emergency signaling too.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Coghlans makes a $2 acrylic mirror.

Dimensions (W x H): 2.75" x 4.25" Weight: 0.5 oz.

If that's too big, you can cut it down to any size you like because it's plastic.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

That's what I did–got the Coghlan's mirror, cut the end with the hole so it was 1/2 the original length, tied on a piece of really thin Spectra cord that I got from ZPacks a couple years ago so I can hang it up. 0.3 oz. I heated the blade of a cheap knife to do the cutting. I probably could have cut it smaller.

I haven't yet figured out how to floss around my bridgework without looking at what I'm doing. I've spent far too many $K at the dentist to neglect dental hygiene!

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> Carry a compass with a sighting mirror. Works for emergency signaling too.

Ditto.

Coincidentally, a Silva Field 26 arrived in the post this morning, to replace my old one which has developed a bubble too big to ignore, after many years service.

The mirror is about the size of that in a powder compact.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Years ago I wore contacts and used a contact lense case which came with a little mirror attached to one of the caps. The mirror was maybe an inch in diameter and had some curvature so as to make your eye look bigger. Similar cases are probably still available. I no longer wear contacts but I still carry the little mirrored cap as my only mirror. If you go solo you need to be able to remove something from your eye of course.

Ole Saether
    BPL Member

@osaether

Locale: Norway

I use a small mirror that came with my record player years ago. It was meant to be used for aligning the cartridge cantilever. It measures about 1 x 1.5 inch.Mirror

Julian Watson

@juleswatson

Thanks all, it's given me a few things to think about.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

http://hikelight.com/acc_misc.html

Scroll about half way down the page

Del Johnston

@deljohnston

Locale: Heart of Dixie

Okay, before you judge me and scoff…I sometimes hike with my girlfriend. She loves the outdoors, but has not accepted the hat/buff look and she INSISTS on brushing her hair in the morning. Of course, I don't argue. =)

We purchased a tiny round brush at WalMart for $1. It was in the travel needs section, along with the travel size soaps, etc. Anyhow, it is about the size of a small makeup compact. It folds up flat. when unfolded, the bristles pop out and the handle is a round mirror. I don't know the weight, but it is not much at all. Maybe an ounce. Maybe less.

The ONLY justification I could muster was that it was multi purpose and small.

Certainly not as small and light as the Coghlan's mirror trimmed, but useful and it keeps her happy.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I used to have a brush like that. It's a great piece of equipment.

Dan Marchiando

@marchiando

The Sun Company Feather weight mirror is the lightest, thinnest (actually flexible) mirror that I have been able to find; much lighter than the Coughlans at 0.30 ounces. I've used mine for 7 seasons now with no damage. I recently found them at HermitsHut.com, but the company website at http://www.suncompany.net/productDetail.php?stockNumber=530 also shows them. Buy extras as I've heard they've been discontinued. Sun Company Feather weight mirror

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

I work for a glass wholesale company and we carry a bunch of thicknesses of mirror. I currently use a 3×3 inch square of 1/16" thick glass mirror. I covered the back with clear packing tape so if it gets broken, it wont leave shards of glass everywhere. It weighs well under an ounce. I would be happy to send you one for free if you wanna try it out.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I was just at the store, and noticed a small mirror intended for a parakeet – small, light, and cheap.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools