Topic

5 yds of spinntex: what shelter to make?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 5 yds of spinntex: what shelter to make?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Peter Snajczuk

@snajczuk

Locale: Mass, USA

So I have 5 yards of spinntex that needs to be made into a shelter of some sort. Has anyone made a mid with this much fabric? All designs and ideas are welcome; this fabric needs to be put to good use. Cheers.

Everett Vinzant
    BPL Member

@wn7ant

Locale: CDT

I'm just finishing a design for a one man tent. I used Google sketchup to design it. Once it's complete I'll post it and you can decide if it's something you are interested in.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I'm not sure how wide spinntex is or how big of a mid you want, but the shelter in my avatar right now uses about 5 yards of fabric and it is plenty big for one person. You should be able to come up with something.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Everett
    I'd be interested in your design if it does not rely on the use of treking poles.
    I have drawn a design of my own but am concerned that it may be a bit too ambitious. I will have to make a full size skeleton in order to make accurate patterns for the panels but I am more worried about the sewing!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Stuart,
    Tried making skeletons with old tent poles, and discovered that even if they are only slightly flexible, they will distort when the fabric is upholstered over the frame. Result – panels were wrong shape.
    Now I use wood frames that are built rock solid. Of course this is for us techno-challenged ones who have not mastered Cadware. But it works for me.
    Some good pictures are posted by Roger on bushwalking.org.au in the DIY – My Designs – Summer Tents section. Worth a read, I think.
    Sam

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Peter,
    Where did you get your Spinntex? The thru-hiker.com site says they are out of stock. I emailed them about a week ago to ask when a new supply would be coming but, I haven't received a reply.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

thruhiker has been "out of stock" for maybe a year

I read somewhere that they have a hard time manufacturing it, but then people sell products with it so ???

You can get polyester spinnaker fabric with DWR finish from http://www.seattlefabrics.com/marine.html. They don't recommend it for tents because it's loud when it flaps in the wind. 0.75 ounce per yard^2. I would think that DWR would provide enough rain protection.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools