Topic

Food for the Littlest Hikers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Food for the Littlest Hikers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I am going to be testing the Miles Outside Organic line of baby foods for baby hikers. It was developed by a couple when they decided to take their baby, Miles, for a hike on the AT. Their website is http://www.milesoutsideorganic.com/

The food looks to be good quality and gluten free. I will post a review once Kaia is old enough to test it and we can see if she likes it.

We'll also be making our own baby foods most of the time. That way I have control over the ingredients. I plan to dry some for the trail too. My best friend and I have done this before for her little guy and the results were wonderful.

I figure that there are probably other parents who plan to take their wee ones on the trail and that lightweight food alternatives will be in order.

Brad B

@hillbillyfromal

My sons boyh liked the squeeze tube foods that Babies R Us sells. They also have a set of spoons that screw onto the top of them so it squirts out into the spoon.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Brad…you try Plum Organics? That is Walker's favorite brand for the squeeze packs (and they sell those spoons you mention!) Target has the spoons as well! He also like Ella's Kitchen but isn't so excited over Happy Baby.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I have reviewed a number of baby foods on my personal blog, this is one on trail friendly versions:
    http://gazingin.com/2011/02/08/easy-to-carry-and-serve-baby-foods/

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Another brand that Walker has enjoyed on trips is Ella's Kitchen, a UK based company.
    Photobucket

It is showing up in some Whole Foods, Targets and Babies r' Us stores. Easy to use on trail!

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Sarah – that tube of baby food looks like the carrot/applesauce that TJ's has… Might be another option?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yep! The ones they sell at Starbucks are very similar as well. Ford loves the ones from TJ's.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

I rarely go to Starbucks, so I haven't seen those yet. Gonna have to go check now!! Anything else I should be looking for? :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools