Topic

A fattening yummy from this weekend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition A fattening yummy from this weekend

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Apricot Bites (recipe is still in the editing stage but way easy to make)

Take dried apricots, stuff them with some almond paste, then dip them in chocolate. Let cool. You can also sprinkle on some ground almonds, but in testing that, it is a bit messier on the trail. Store in a cool place.

Almond paste has 170 calories per 2 tablespoons.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yowsers! I am heading out the door to buy almond paste. While I'm gone, I hope you can tell us how to stuff an apricot. The dried ones I have aren't stuffable. Do you slit them open? Staple 2 together with the paste in the middle? I will take these on our 3-day trip this week, if they last that long.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

You can slit them open, but if you look closely, there is a seam. Shove about 1/4 teaspoon of almond paste in there, then pinch them closed. It doesn't matter if the almond paste is peeking through b/c you are going to dip them in chocolate.

Trader Joes has excellent apricots, btw.

ETA: I had to hide them from myself last week so that I would have enough to take to Colorado this past weekend. Consider yourself warned. :)

Also… Make sure you get almond paste and not marzipan (blech!)

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

OK, I'm back. I had 2 choices of almond paste, one was "pure" and the other was much cheaper but had a bunch of syrups and coconut somethings in it. So I splurged and bought the pure one, which may, in fact, be marzipan, but since I like marzipan, it will be fine.

And my Trader Joe apricots do indeed have little slits that pry open to look like apricot oysters. Very sweet! Now I know what's for dinner. I will try melting chocolate chips for a semi-sweet version of chocolate dip. Thanks for this!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Dicentra, I just gained 5 lbs. reading your recipe, lol!!! I'm also threatening to short circuit my keyboard with excess drooling!

Using dark chocolate (Green & Black's?) and rolling in finely chopped almonds after dipping would be a bonus!

The organic Turkish apricots sold in bulk by Fred Meyer (my favorite dried fruit) also have the "seam" from which the pit was removed, although you have to pry around to find it.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

But I promise, it is worth it! :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Hehheh! Same here Granny – I love both Marzipan and almond paste. both are sooo indulgent!

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

These are brilliant! Be sure to do all your prying of apricots and stuffing of paste before you start rolling them in the chocolate. It's a mess – like fingerpainting – and lots of fun. And they taste wonderful! So did licking my fingers. I may have a salad for dessert to justify this so-called dinner.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Stuff all the apricots first, THEN start the dipping.

And feel free to lick your fingers. :)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I very much doubt if any of these will survive to go on a backpacking trip!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools