Topic

Peanut butter lovers – what do you carry it in

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Peanut butter lovers – what do you carry it in

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I'm tired of using sandwich bags to store my peanut butter on hikes and scraping it out of the bag. What have you used that works well?

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I usually use those re-fillable Coghlan squeeze tubes you can get at REI two for $4.50.

Last time out, though, I just used individual serving containers of Jif I got at Safeway.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Packit Gourmet sells individual servings of peanut butter plus REI also carries them.. They way about 2oz each…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

>> I usually use those re-fillable Coghlan squeeze tubes you can get at REI two for $4.50.

I have been using those for ages.

Last week my wife bought some peanut butter in what appeared to be a lightweight plastic jar. Unfortunately she did not follow directions (or acknowledge my request) and threw the empty out before I could weigh it. This might be an acceptable option. I guess I am going to have to go out and buy my own peanut butter and weigh it :(

Ben P

@benp1

Locale: London

I haven't found a pleasing way of carrying peanut butter around. I need something with wide opening as the peanut butter I buy is particularly crunchy. Something small, light and sturdy would work well. Small and sturdy is easy, light is a problem! i.e. a small lock&lock container

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Wow, the REI organic peanut butter packets definitely looks good. Thanks Jay!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Like David, I've used the Jif singles for years.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Mmmmn. Peanut butter. I use a small screw top nalgene container so I can pack it with a mix of extra crunchy peanut butter and Nutella. Delish! Doesn't leak. Easy to get out.

Like this one or it's half size brother

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=973

Brian Cripe

@brian-cripe

Locale: Midwest

I'm with Ken – try http://www.rei.com/product/402054 for Chunky peanut butter. I would imagine that the containers that "non-boutique" peanut butters come it (Jif, etc) that are thin plastic would be pretty lightweight as well.

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

If I am just going for an overnight or 2 nights…I use a thick breakfast pita – has nuts, fruit in it, fairly dense bread…and I spread the peanut butter on the night before I leave and fold it over on itself and then into a ziplock. No peanut butter containers to deal with…no messy spreading when ready to eat. Works great for me. I will use this for breakfasts and some lunches.

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Film canisters might be a good and free option.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I normally just use Justins Nut Butter packets. Easy and no mess.
    In the past if I have carried containers I use a Ziploc or Glad 1/2 cup size container, then stashed in a bag. But for me packets are easier.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Gerry tubes, or whatever they are called these days.

The Gerry company invented them along with a large number of other innovative products many years ago. I still have a few original Gerry brand tubes…I wonder if they are worth something to collectors…?

Note…I've read that film canisters are not suitable for food storage due to chemicals in the plastic.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

I try to grab a few extra of these when I find them offered (usually at hotels, etc.) —

http://onlinestore.smucker.com/display_product.cfm?prod_id=330&cat_id=22

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Film canisters might be a good and free option."
    The lid will not stay on when you need it to the most. Plus they don't hold very much.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

I've had good luck with Rubbermaid® 1.2 Cup Twist & Seal TakeAlongs. Weigh about 28 grams each. Sold in 4 packs at grocery stores.

First pic is from Rubbermaid site. Second pic is from a recent 2 week trip. Used one for jam, one for PB.
    rubbermaid twist & seal containerrubbermaid twist & seal container #2

-Lance

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I use Justin's, like Sarbar. I think I like the almond butter better than peanut butter. The cinnamon PB is pretty good too. I have some freeze dried PB I got somewhere, but I haven't really used it.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

I like the screwtop nalgene bottle, not jar. The other neat thing is that since it's hdpe, the PB doesn't stick to it, making it easy to get out…

link to nalgene 4oz bottle

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Either Justin's or Jiff. I've seen small PB packets at diners too… like jelly comes in. I have a few of those as well (harder to find)

I just picked up a couple of the chocolate flavors of Justins. Pretty excited to try those. :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The chocolate hazelnut is sooooooooo good. Yeah. GOOD!

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

I use my hot sealer with vacuum sealer bags to make my own "jiffy singles". For a change, I swap in almond or cashew butter or use the Super Spackel recipe that's on this site.

As a note, you don't actually have to use the vacuum sealer with those bags since peanut butter won't spoil readily. I have a cheap vacuum sealer that is slow and hard to get a solid seal before it'll fire off the hot seal bar. Instead, I own a dirt cheap hot sealer from Harbor Freight so I can cut and shape my own packages.

Alternatively, Justin's pre-packaged servings are conenient and while not as cheap as DIY, aren't unreasonably expensive.

I've used the squeeze tubes for years prior to owning the hot sealer, works, but I ran into problems with cashew/almond butter drying out and I always kept breaking the white plastic clips. Sure, you can replace the clips, but once the clip broke in the pack, the resulting mess was fomidable and I was in bear country at the time.

Acronym Esq
    BPL Member

@acronym-esq

Locale: TX

> I'm tired of using sandwich bags to store my peanut butter on hikes and scraping it out of the bag

Couldn't you just turn the bag inside out and rub the remaining peanut butter directly on your tongue|apple|cracker?

acronym 9/28/2010 11:30 PM

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I carry it inside pretzels.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

> I'm tired of using sandwich bags to store my peanut butter on hikes and scraping it out of the bag

>Couldn't you just turn the bag inside out and rub the remaining peanut butter directly on your tongue|apple|cracker?

Yeah, but I always manage to get it on myself. Great suggestions thus far. Thanks!

Stephen Morse
    BPL Member

@scmorse1

Locale: Bay area

I also use those Coghlan squeeze tubes. Or if I don't want to take alot, I buy Justin's Peanut Butter packets. You can get them at REI or Whole Foods.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools