Topic

Mountain house bag as a pot?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mountain house bag as a pot?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

was reading an unnamed heavy mag this morning and read a reader tip who uses his mountain house bag as a pot. can you really boil water in this thing over a stove/fire. obviously, it would be messy, but wondering if it can be done (ie, will it withstand the direct flame for 5 min). anyone tested?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'm betting they just use it for eating out of and add hot water. I don't think it will withstand a flame but I haven't used Mountain House products in years so I obviously haven't tested it.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Yes,

you can boil in virtually any container. With the interior coating, etc I wouldn't want to consume the water afterward.

In addition, it won't last for many uses.

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

You can boil in the bag no problem but you have to keep it quite a ways above the flame and it takes forever. I have even boiled water in a plastic 20oz mountain dew bottle in this manner, but the bottle was badly distorted and it took about 45 minutes with the bottle hanging about 18 inches above a fire.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

does anyone know if you can put one of those bags on direct flame? coals?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>does anyone know if you can put one of those bags on direct flame? coals?

I doubt it. I'm no chemist, but the only reason this works is because the water inside continuously absorbs the heat energy from the fire. In addition, any material that is not touching water, i.e. the upper part of the bag, will melt.

You can boil water in a paper cup by setting it in the fire, but every bit of the cup that isn't touching the water burns off.

I think it'd be just a messy, fussy, hassle.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

As Travis mentioned, you can boil water in a paper cup by simply putting the cup full of water on a flat spot in the fire. The cup will burn down to the water level but the water will come to a boil.

I've used this technique with a Starbucks cup to soft-boil an egg. It's a fun "parlor trick."

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Direct contact with heat, no. The bags do burn in a fire (or more likely melt rather than burn but they do ash up).

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I have reduced aluminum cans to mere ashes over a camp fire. I guarantee same result with MH bags unless there's plenty of water inside — in which case the fire will still singe it, but won't totally incinerate it.

Two other issues to think about: stability and evenness of cooking.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools