Topic

Greek Unstuffed Peppers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Greek Unstuffed Peppers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Greek Unstuffed Peppers (book #3 preview)
    Serves 1
    3 ounces

If you have dried roasted bell peppers, they would be even better in this dish. Make sure you stir well before eating to get all of the herbs evenly distributed throughout the dish.

1/3 cup instant rice
    3 T dried bell pepper
    2 T dried artichoke hearts
    1 T dried zucchini dices
    1 t dried parsley
    1 packet True Lemon (or more to taste)
    ½ t vegetable bouillon
    ½ t dried oregano
    ¼ t onion flakes
    ¼ t garlic powder

At home: combine everything in a zip locking plastic bag.

In camp: add enough hot water to cover. Allow to sit until the rice and vegetables are rehydrated. Season with salt, pepper and olive oil to taste.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

appreciate this

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Let me know if you try it. :)

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

We will try that one.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

wont be anytime soon, maybe a few weeks, i will make it and eat it in the field. Im like a trash compactor, i will eat anything, but i like peppers so i think i will like this.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I make something similar but I actually roast the grain mixture inside the pepper and then chop the pepper up post cooking. Then I dehydrate the pepper and the grain mixture together. The difference is that you get the stuffed pepper flavor moreso this way.

That said, it's a good recipe with little fuss.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Instead of using plain dried bell peppers, use roasted bell peppers (from a jar – the kind in water, not oil) that you have dried. Even MORE flavor. Nom nom nom.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Teresa…so totally unrelated but have you tried the sauteed onions that Packitgourmet is selling? Yum!

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

I have not, but they'd be good in this… And lots of other stuff.

I saw dried peppers (from Frontier Foods) at the hippy grocery the other day in bulk!

Will Webster

@willweb

I'll have to try this, but I think something's missing. Any idea how to make feta trail-friendly?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Heh! I just bought a 1 lb bag of the peppers from Frontier direct due to using so much of them :-) Same with the diced tomatoes.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Oh yes! Feta would rock in this dish! YUM. You would be okay in mild to moderate temperatures packing it in. I've heard of people drying it, but that sounds stinky.

Alternately, a packet of Parmesan or Romano cheese?

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Feta dehydrates beautifully… the process makes it very lightweight and it rehydrates very quickly. It can leave a heavy smell of feta/brine in your kitchen during the drying process though so you might want to crack open a window.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools