Topic

Michigan Suggestions Needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Michigan Suggestions Needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

@trooper

I'm planning a trip for early October, and need some suggestions for a destination in Michigan. What I'm looking for is a place that has scenic views, and preferably doesn't prohibit campfires. What do you suggest?

Brian Cripe

@brian-cripe

Locale: Midwest

Where in MI are you starting from, and how far are you willing to drive? How long of a hike are you looking for? A little more information will get you a better answer.

Matt Mioduszewski
    BPL Member

@water-2

Locale: pacific nw

nordhouse dunes wilderness area. i've had some blustery cold times in october, and i've had some absolutely wonderful indian summer-all the leaves on the trees-but in full color-sunny, cold at night but not even frosting (thanks to the lake)..in late october too.

upper: pictured rocks, or porkies, though liable for a snow more i think up there..been a while tho, fuzzy in my memory when the snow starts in the UP

@trooper

"Where in MI are you starting from, and how far are you willing to drive? How long of a hike are you looking for? A little more information will get you a better answer." ~Brian

Starting in Grosse Pointe. Willing to go anywhere in the State within a 5 hour drive. Any length of hike that can be accomplished in 5 days is fine, but I prefer to get to a destination for a few days and set up camp there. I hike because I camp; not camp because I hike.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Brian Cripe

@brian-cripe

Pictured rocks is about at the edge of your drive time limit, but offers great hiking and views. You'll be getting beautiful colors up there in early October (I'm heading up there around the same time). Tahquamenon Falls in Hiawatha Natl Forest is beautiful as well – great colors, nice day hikes, beautiful waterfalls a bit closer than Pictured Rocks. Tahquamenon is a great spot for winter camping as well. North Manitou Island would be another good choice – after Labor Day it doesn't get much traffic. The ferry out to the island only runs on Fridays and Sundays through Oct 11, and is unavailable after that, although you may be able to hire a ride out there through the local marina (I've done that in the past, and saved travel time as well. You just have to have faith that they will pick you up after your hiking!) Sleeping Bear dunes region is another good area.

There are plenty of good day hiking locales as well in the lower peninsula, but it depends on your tolerance for seeing other people during your time. I've also heard good things about the Bruce Peninsula in Ontario, but have never camped/hiked there personally. It is a beautiful area though.

Another option would be to head south. You're about 5 hours from Red River Gorge in KY, and that has lots of good trails, nice colors, and backcountry camping, so avoiding setting up your tent next to others is pretty easy, especially during the week. You might be a little early as far as colors go – I'd check with someone in that region for more info (you can call them at Miguel's Pizza – google it, and they'll fill you in on conditions).

Hope this helps!

@trooper

Thanks for the suggestions, Rog. Your photo was taken on the Agawa?

@trooper

Brian,

Pictured rocks is looking like the forerunner right now. The trip was originally planned for the Red River Gorge, but due to my friend's travel plans, somewhere in Michigan will be the only option anymore.

Brian Cripe

@brian-cripe

You can do pictured rocks a lot of different ways, but if you want to thru-hike it (about 42 miles) there is a shuttle service that will take you from one end to the other, and vice versa (http://www.altranbus.com/backpack.html) – it's $20 to get a ride down to the other end so you can hike back to your car. If the shuttle schedule doesn't work, there are some local services that will shuttle you also – check with the ranger station for the latest info on other providers.

You'll have a new moon around Oct 7 – you can often see northern lights from Pictured Rocks under those conditions. Enjoy!

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

For a closer to home trip, I'd highly recommend the Manistee River Trail. It's my favorite "24" getaway, particularly when combined with a fly rod. Starting at Red Bridge, the trail follows the Manistee River for approximately 11 miles. You can then backtrack, or connect to the North Country trail on the opposite side of the river for a 20 mile loop.

It is a popular trail in lower Michigan, but I rarely see people midweek, particularly in late fall (and never in winter).October 09

Incidentally, the fish in my avatar is a Manistee River brown.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

<del></del>

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

<del></del>

Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

Locale: Indy

Porcupine mtns (Lake of the Clouds)

I love backpacking in the porcupine mountains near Ontonagon in the UP. When I lived in Chicago I did a trip up there every summer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools