Topic

Sierra Designs LT Strike 2 Tent Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Sierra Designs LT Strike 2 Tent Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Sierra Designs LT Strike 2 Tent Review

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Ray,
    Any observations why this tent would have condensation issues while the Hubba Hubba did not?

Both button up pretty tight. It seems like they would perform similarly in similar conditions….

David Ure

@familyguy

You mean the HP? It has vents in the fly I believe.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Ah, yes. I see the HP Does have vents.

The old style Hubba Hubba does not.

I ask because on a recent trip with two Hubba Hubba tents, pitched within 50' of each other, one had serious condensation on night one and None on night two. The other Hubba Hubba had no condensation on either night.

So there must be weird variables that affect things.

I think a few more samples would be in order before rating this, or any, tent.

John Murtiashaw

@murda

Locale: Ashvegas and beyond

I like the pole design. This has been my experience with SD gear as well; a good value but either clunky or with some notable issue.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"This has been my experience with SD gear as well; a good value but either clunky or with some notable issue."

My experience as well! No quality issues, but:

1. consistently "optimistic" weight specs
    2. heavy (clunky)
    3. design issues

Two examples come to mind with SD tents:

1. SD Baku – Hybrid design that delivered the worst condensation performance of any tent that I've ever used — even when tested in relatively dry southern Cal. Heavy too — almost 2 whole lbs. heavier than the similarly configured Big Sky Mirage 2P!!

2. SD Solomente – Single wall 'breathable' tent. Simple and easy solo design — but designed so short that one end or the other of my regular-size sleeping bag would touch the wall. A single wall tent should ALWAYS allow for space all around so bag won't come into contact with the wall(s) and get soaked!

But back to the SD Strike. The Strike strikes me as a tent for casual hikers who crave space (esp. headroom) — and don't mind carrying a bit extra weight. Interesting design though.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I'd love to see SD redo this tent in 1.1 silnylon and nanoseeum.

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

Another great review ray.still waiting for that copper spur tho.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Yeah, I agree that SD makes some good stuff, but they just haven't hit the sweet spot with their lightweight gear yet.

>So there must be weird variables that affect things.

Greg, I believe there are things you can do to minimize condensation, but there can be times where two identical tents pitched right next to each other can have completely different condensation issues. SO many factors!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools