Topic

List help please?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists List help please?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jesse McKinney

@jessemckinney

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Hello,

I could use a little help with my 'shoulder season' list for 2-5 nights, solo this Fall, early Winter, and early Spring on the Appalachian Trail. I'm a cold, side sleeper. I'm trying out new shoes. Thanks for any critiques of my list.

List:
    List

Ole Saether
    BPL Member

@osaether

Locale: Norway

Hi Jesse,

The "Action" column in your list does not display correctly on my screen. It is too narrow.

I can't comment on the heavier items but here are a few suggestions:

Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA batteries: 7.6 grams each
    BPL titanium stakes: 6.1 grams each

Leave the pen at home and write on your iPhone? Or better, leave the iPhone at home and keep the pen!

Cut the edges off the maps?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

The No Sniveler will likely not be warm enough for Winter and early Spring, even with your insulating jacket and pants.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nice list, Jesse.

Chris is correct – as a cold sleeper you will want more insulated clothing or quilt in that area during those times. I use the NS & other sleep items (similar setup to yours') and have made it down to 19* on a couple of occasions. I think I'm a "normal" to mildly warm sleeper.
    Ultimately I would prefer a little more warmth when it's that low!! Your pad setup should be warm enough – good choices.

Do you need both stuff sacks (mesh & S2S) in your cook kit? Other than that, carrying less tape, ditching the music, etc are areas to save weight, but if it makes your hiking/camping more enjoyable or comfortable, then DO NOT change it. Not much else to comment on.

Todd

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I would carry the most basic essentials on-person because packs have a way of separating from their owners at the worst possible times.

knife
    plastic pealess whistle (pealess works when waterlogged, plastic won't bond to lips when cold)
    lighter or firesteel
    dry tinder
    compass
    map

Backup water purification (is it boiling using a wood fire?)

I'd prefer a second trekking pole after trying both the none and one options.

Jesse McKinney

@jessemckinney

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Ole:
    I'll look into the batteries and lighter tent stakes. I love my paper PATC maps, but they really are heavy. Sorry, but I have to have my iPhone for trail music.

Chris:
    I'm looking at replacing my No Sniveller with Jacks r' Better's Old Rag Mt., Rocky Mountain Sniveller, or another 4-season quilt. I'll also probably add in a vest and a wool base layer bottoms when it's really cold. Any recommendations on a winter quilt?

Funny:
    The mesh bag holds my 'kitchen' together, while the sil bag holds all of my food. I'm feeling really good about getting down to 3 'organizer' bags. When I finally get a Z-Packs bag with strap pockets I'll knock out one more bag.

Andy:
    I usually keep my map on me, but I'll consider keeping those other items on me as well. I don't think hiking on the local stretches of the AT without these items in my pocket is too much of a risk. I really like my razor blade instead of a knife. With the kind of cooking I do on the trail it's all I really need. I have a pealess whistle built into the sternum strap of my Gossamer Gear backpack. I can use an Esbit tab for a fire starter if needed. I've been thinking about adding a few aquamira tabs for a backup water purification. Also, I prefer carrying two trekking poles as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools