Topic

Problem with Princeton Tec EOS LED Headlamp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Problem with Princeton Tec EOS LED Headlamp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brett Lloyd
    BPL Member

@blloydfunyahoo-com

I encountered a strange problem with my (new, just-purchased at REI) Princeton Tec EOS LED Headlamp. When “off” it continues to emit light.

In the light of day, I think it is impossible to sense the very small amount of light being emitted when the lamp is in the off position. I first noticed the problem in my tent at night, and I was convinced it must be moonlight, etc. reflecting off the lamp.

After confirming that external light was not being reflected, I removed the batteries and the light was gone. Batteries back in, and the light returned. Weird.

I am going back to REI for a replacement unit tonight, and I will report back.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

This is testable at home in a dark bathroom, closet, etc. I’m sure it’s a very low battery drain, but any drain is too much IMHO.

Scott Downard

@rook

Locale: Northern AZ

I haven’t experienced this problem with my EOS headlamp. Maybe you just got one of the inevitable defects in circuitry.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

After reading your post I checked the Eos (the one tested for our review) to see whether it had the same problem–it doesn’t. I’ll guess yours is defective and should be exchanged.

As a side note, the new Zenix IQ has a tiny “find-me” blinking LED in the lamphead that operates while the headlamp is switched off. Black Diamond claims it would take five years for this feature to drain the batteries.

Brett Lloyd
    BPL Member

@blloydfunyahoo-com

Update: I took it back to REI and got a replacement, no worries. The new lamp does not exhibit the problem.

REI was great, though they initially told me it was a feature intended to help me find the light in the dark. Hey, man, I write computer software: I invented the “it’s a feature” excuse.

Hopefully this problem is rare, but I’d encourage y’all to check. Again, it’s very low light: at REI I could only demonstrate the problem in a dark room, well back from the door (which had light coming in under it).

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

So *you’re* the one.

Glad to hear you were able to exchange it easily, Brett. I hope the customer service folks behaved themselves in that dark room ;-)

Enjoy your Eos!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools