Topic

economy quilt kits

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals economy quilt kits

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

For a limited time, the Jardine’s RayWay products has economy quilt kits for 1 or 2 availble in olive drab or safety orange. Having just recieved one in olive, I couldn’t be more pleased with the colour.

Ryan Stoughton
    BPL Member

@txtengu

Locale: Seattle

Linsey,
    Did your quilt kit include instructions? I just ordered one of the 2 person deluxe economy kits and wanted to make sure that there were instructions in there. The description on the site made me think that they may not be including them. I’ve made 3 single person quilts, but haven’t made a double yet. I wanted to make sure that I get the sizing and split-zip installation correct.

Thanks!
    Ryan

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

You’ve probably gotten your kit already as Jenny Jardine ships them out very fast. Yes, instructions were included. I found the 1 ounce military nylon a bit harder to use than the usual 1.1 ounce ripstock normally supplied, but I do love the colour. I made an economy deluxe single, but was supplied with enough fabric and insulation that I could have made a double athough this probably varies. Prevously when I made a double with split zip, I cut it differently than instructed and was very pleased with the result. While I’m not sure if I can explain it clearly, I cut the inner and outer nylon of the top piece (‘above the split zip’) out of one piece of goods, using the ‘fold’ as a seamless zipper baffle. Likewise I cut the inner and outer nylon of the bottom piece ( ‘below the splt zip’) out of one piece of goods, using the ‘fold’ as a more finished looking edge to the zipper. There was some math to compensate for the longer allowance of the seamless baffle. This came out great…Ironically I date a guy who works at Feathered Friends and who not only has beautiful down, but could likely get me a deal on those fabulous down bags: since I am a novice (aspiring) distance hiker planning a 500 mile (WA section of the PCT) hike, I feel safer with synthetic insulation. ps I was only able to cut it this way as the fabric supplied was wide enough for my personalized width.

Ryan Stoughton
    BPL Member

@txtengu

Locale: Seattle

Thanks for the reply and the tip on the split zip. I got the kit yesterday and it did include instructions. As per usual they seem very easy to follow and I can’t wait to start! It never ceases to amaze me how quick they ship things out. I ordered the quilt on Friday and got an email Saturday morning stating it had shipped. Yesterday it was waiting for me when I got home! AZ to TX is not a huge distance, but it’s not small either. Amazing that their kits get to me so fast!!!

Ryan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools