Topic

Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report – Part 1B: Theory and Technology

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report – Part 1B: Theory and Technology

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Nick,
    Are you considering replacing ALL of your other packs with one custom McHale? You're a pretty minimalist packer (water issues aside) if I remember, and I'm always interested in hearing others' anecdotes on the frameless vs. framed pack pendulum.

I've only taken one desert trip, but I quickly learned about a pack being in a state of constant flux. We did the Superstitions this past December and Arizona was pretty dry at the time–even for Arizona.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

All I can add is that it' MUCH easier to see your feet with an Aarn than with a LuxuryLite. It's also much easier to scramble and boulder-hop. My only problem with Aarn is lack of hydration compatability/ports. Aarn packs feel great once you have them packed and adjusted right and actually have them on. There is a lot of stuff you can trim off an Aarn pack too, to make it lighter.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Travis,

I am thinking about getting rid of everything except the Murmur. Depending upon how things go with the LBP, that could possibly go too. Often trips with my Murmur are around 4lbs base weight with a little food and water, usually topping off at around 10lbs total. So a stripped down LBP would leave me with a total weight of 12lbs, and outstanding functionality and comfort. But I am not going to sell anything until I get it and test it. Dan is going on a vacation for a month, so I will have at least a couple months to play with the demo.

Good news is that last week was my wedding anniversary, and the wife said the presents were the best I have ever given her, so she could care less what a McHale costs :)

David Ure

@familyguy

NM

John Murtiashaw

@murda

Locale: Ashvegas and beyond

Just not all that interested. I'm sure they're great, but if I'm carrying a sleeping pad anyway I may as well make it work for me.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

David, I respectfully have to disagree with your statement on load lifters. All I know is that I am in agony if the shoulder straps are not pulled away from the tops of my shoulders! This is with 16-27 lbs. total pack weight. I can manage a day pack with a hoop frame and waist belt, but nothing more than 8-9 lbs. total.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Mary

Odd , very odd. I am left wondering whether you have the torso length on your pack set far to short. Some side-on photos might be helpful.

Cheers

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

"So this week I will be ordering a McHale full Dyneema LBP, with several options to meet varying requirements."

I'd be jealous if I didn't already have a full Dyneema SuperSARC II. :)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

A belated answer, Roger: it's my shoulders, not the pack. I have been fighting shoulder arthritis for almost 30 years. I did experiment with a number of shoulder strap adjustments (since mine is adjustable) when I first got the pack. The configuration I use is extremely comfortable for me, removes the shoulder pressure problem and basically puts all the weight on my hips. Your Part 1C article's picture of the load lifters shows mine at exactly the same angle as those of the GoLite pack on the left!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Mary

> I have been fighting shoulder arthritis for almost 30 years.
    Ah – that sort of thing is ALWAYS tricky. Very individual, depending on the injury. Well, good luck!

Cheers

Everett Vinzant
    BPL Member

@wn7ant

Locale: CDT

I'm starting to remember the conversation in "Matrix" where they discuss how everything, "tastes like chicken." Here's what I mean; if it's comfortable for you (i.e. you have no discernible pain while hiking), and you can transport your kit from point a to b effectively, then you must be doing something right. The adage goes, "if it hurts, you're doing it wrong." You may not be at "maximum" comfort, but if you're not in pain, you don't have hot spots, or have some other, "I hate this pack because..", it's likely that you have a good fitting, functional piece of equipment. You may gain by going to something else, but you always have to compare the cost (I have no doubt you already know this).

David Ure

@familyguy

NM

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools