Topic

The new headnets on the home page

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The new headnets on the home page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Granda
    BPL Member

@throckmorton

I thought these sounded interesting so I read the entire article and was impressed. I then scrolled up to check the price and nearly threw up. It must be a joke! Does anyone else feel the same?

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

Aaron, I almost choked on my vomit and expired. Definitely seems a little pricey for a friggin 2-pack of headnets.

Cheers, jeff

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Agreed. Must be stupidly expensive fabric. Also… from the description… it sounds very fragile. Breathability would be nice tho… but $40… ouch.

I feel the same way about those air pillows. It’s like $6 for a three pack?! Meanwhile, you can buy a BOX of 50 from any number of websites for around $25!!! So how is it the something that retails for 50 cents each is sold here for $2 each? Also… those pillow have a high failure rate. I’ve had a few that won’t stay inflated. No biggie as I bought a case of the suckers… but I’d be pissed if I paid $6 for three and one or more of them had a leaky valve.

John Chan

@ouroboros

Maybe its a typo… maybe the decimal is in the wrong place.

If its true though, that would definitely be a bit of kit in the unobtainium category!

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

To paraphrase the Clinton Campaign:
    It’s the Profit motive, Stupid!!

BPL is a business. Some stuff is fairly priced, some stuff is underpriced and some stuff pays for Alaskan adventures. DUH!!!

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

I would like to see the three side-by-side “through the netting” photos much larger (or clickable to expand). As is, they are so small that my monitor doesn’t have enough resolution to see them clearly.

My wife makes my headnets for under a dollar, albeit no where near as tricked out as these. REI sells headnets for $14 (Outdoor Research) to $20 (Columbia sportswear and Produits Horizon) each, so Ryan’s $20 for two is not a price gouging act.

Sandra Warner

@sam-1

I posted this morning on the Forum admin. asking if it was a misprint and I think they deleted my post. I about choked when I saw the price!

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Bob, He isn’t asking for twenty for two. He is asking twenty apiece or eighteen apiece for members.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Unfortunately, the first batch is priced very high because we did a small run with a cottage industry American manufacturer and the cost is absurd.

If feedback is ok on them and the demand seems there, I’ll send them out to one of our main shops for a bigger run in 2007 to bring the price down.

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Well at least stupid recognizes an overpriced headnet when it sees one…
    I did forget to add that they look kinda neat!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

When sold in a package of two, The price does not seem that bad. They do look real nice. Something I would want during the early season in the Sierra’s!!! Nice product.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

And, I should add:

This is not, and shouldn’t be considered to be, a mainstream headnet. It’s less durable, it lets noseeums in, and it’s expensive.

There are some folks that would be spending their money irresponsibly if they purchased this headnet. If you’re choking on the price, then it’s for good reason. Spend your money on other ways to lighten your kit. We’re talking fractions of ounce here.

Look at the specs, and if it’s worth it to you, fine, if not, great. If you want a cheaper option then I do recommend the OR Basic Headnet. It’s very functional and offers a good value.

If you really need to pinch then you can find Coghlan’s nets for $5 apiece, and they work well enough.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Ryan… yah… I don’t think anyone would buy one to save weight… although the weight is impressive for what it is… you’re only saving 6 grams over a Coglans net. The things that really stand out about the net are the visability and breathability.

Brett Tucker

@blisterfree

Pete Vacco has done an incredible job designing these headnets. The truth is they simply outperform all other mosquito headnet designs for a fraction of the weight and offer far better breathability. The design allows you to sleep with the headnet on and with no need for a hat or “spring ring” to keep the fabric away from the face and head. Ditto while hiking. This is the first and only headnet that I’ve actually *chosen* to wear, even when bugs aren’t necessarily swarming. It’s an extremely useful item to have on hand – perhaps deceptively so, judging from the sight-unseen impressions thus far registered here.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

David – Yes, breathability is the primary reason that I coughed up the 36 simoleons. For years I’ve been using a headnet I threw together with $2 of no seeum fabric. It works fine with or without a hat and while sleeping.

I’m still on my first air pillow out of the set and it’s going strong. No more stiff neck from resting my head on my boots at night.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

I wanted to echo a headnet as warmth item. I have used a basic head net with hoodless and hooded bags for a long time. I find the miniscule weight is really a boost for the warmth and any (frozen) condensation tends to occur outisde the net so it’s fairly comfortable. Also use them for dirty clothes/socks bag untill I can rinse in a river, I’ve strained pasta, prefiltered sandy water, etc. too. Also good for masking the face siloutte and smile glee while stalking marmot. A core piece of equipment in my mind regardless of season.

Karl Keating
    BPL Member

@karlkeating

I was hiking the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne a month ago. The bugs were bad, so I wore an OR headnet. It really reduced my visibility in the dappled light of the trail–and I almost stepped on a rattler. Had he bitten me, the $20 for one of the BPL headnets would have seemed very cheap.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Karl, same thing happened to me….twice…in the grand canyon of the tuolumne too!!! You don’t know you’re alive until you hear that rattle!

rattler
    Found this little guy not more than 20 ft. from our camp. Man, I wished I had brought a tent that night.

Roy

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

going through some thick shrubbery to get to the river, while still half suspended in the bushes, heard the familiar sound – but where was he?!

I guessed right and jumped back. Finally after a bit, saw a guy just like the one pictured above nestled below the branch I was on.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

I took my BPL mosquito headnet out for a hilly, hot, run in the sun. I get very hot with exercise so I was anxious to see how the new headnet compared to my old ones for breathability and comfort. I ran for 13 hot miles and at no time was I inclined to remove the netting nor was I even aware that I was wearing it. It’s definitely a superior tool for me.

I put my hand 6” in front of my mouth and exhaled deeply. With my no-seeum and another coarser mesh on I could hear the air as it created drag passing through the material. I also felt a substantial decrease in volume and velocity of air reaching my hand. With the BPL netting in position I felt the full force of my breath and heard no evidence of resistance as the air passed through the fabric.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>nor was I even aware that I was wearing it. It’s definitely a superior tool for me.

I’m definitely buying it. I carry a Coghlans headnet (bargain), but just sitting around camp last week I was sweating (but bug-free) in it; no way could I have gone down the trail with it on. It would be worth the price to have a breathable headnet. Thanks for posting a review (as opposed to the first five posts in this thread…).

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Douglas… how could the first five posters have posted a review… they were written practically the day the item became available. And it is a pricey item. That’s not to say it’s not be worth it, but it is pricey.

I may order a pair as well. I hate using my Coglans head net. Although… the bugs have not been that bad this summer.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

It’s a free market: If you really need to save 8 gm’s over the Walmart $2.95 head mesh, or need the better breathability or visibility, then it’s a good deal. Just like a full size pickup vs. Honda Civic, they both do core functions, but also have unique qualities and capabilities.

At over $1000 / lb cost to weight ratio difference, the value isn’t there for me, but it may meet the needs of all the close up snake photogs out there.

MikeB

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I’ve used a bug shirt (the Original Bug Shirt) for years but I’ve been looking for a way to drop a few ounces. The bug shirt weighs about 10 oz. (size large). Other than the weight, the big drawback with the shirt is looking through the headnet; it is so claustrophobic, you tend to avoid it. Once the bugs get so bad you can’t stand it, you zip it up. The visibility with the BPL headnet is much, much better.

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Yo Doug. I shall scoff at the price if I want to. Hopefully a future run of this item in larger quanity will result in lower pricing as Ryan indicated. Commenting about the price did seem to spawn discussion of the headnet. Discussion and review of gear is what we are all about here right? I got my answers out of this thread. Thanks to all who posted! I will probably end up purchasing this item sooner or later. This thread is beat like a bass drum anyway. I’m out.
    Cheers, jeff

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools