Topic

Tehipite Trek-100 miles to VVR

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Tehipite Trek-100 miles to VVR

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

343 (2)
    Remote & Pristine

Marie Lakes
    EVOLUTION

Lake Thomas Edison

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Welcome back! I know I don't even need to ask if you had a great time.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks Ken, Wish you could of maid it! 7 days and 7 nights – Every thing went to plan with a case of Heineken waiting for us in my truck at VVR. Great weather, beautiful scenery and even better group dynamics with a lot of "Chatting" on the JMT with all the fellow hikers. We did not see a person for the first three days being deep in Tehipite Valley. When we finally hit the North Fork Trail at the JMT junction things really got social,interesting and FUN!!! Everybody is just so happy to be out there with a lot of opportunity to create good "Karma". Dave Lutz and Chris Benok were two great guys to hike with on such a remote and inspiring section of the JMT. Here are a few more pictures:
    We did not see one other person in this valley for three days!!

Blue Canyon
    The Hut
    Evolution Valley
    On the last day we manage to do 16.8 miles from Salley Keyes Lake to VVR. This was a great time to hike the trail because there was less people and hardly no mosquitoes!! 25 nights out this season so far–I am fortunate and grateful to be able to hike hike with such nice people.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Really nice pictures Jay. I haven't been out that many days in a row yet but I look forward to being out in the wild for longer periods like that.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Lake McDermand at Muir Pass
    South Fork San Joaquin River
    Colby Meadow
    Just off the JMT-Marshall Lakes

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Nice picture Jay, looks like some great hiking. I can't wait to get back out there. Did you do any fishing?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Sean, We did not bring a pole but brought some line and hooks with some very small split-shot. There was a lot of fish at Salley Keyes Lake and the Middle fork of the Kings River…Basically we were to tired to fish in the afternoon after 12-16 mile days….We only fished once in Le Conte Canyon with no luck…..

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Nice photos Jay! How was section from Wishon to the JMT in terms of trail condition, elevation change, scenery etc. ?

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Was the route you took off trail? or is part of the JMT?
    Great pictures btw.

Just curious, how fast do you guys hike? What's a typical day?
    Glad to see your back is doing better.

Matt Jones
    BPL Member

@mjones

Terrific pics. What was the trail like on the descent into Tehipite? Some reports have made this sound like a 3000' slippery slide.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Nice, Jay! Thanks for posting these.
    Blue Canyon looks especially wild and remote, more of a moonscape than earthbound. Spectacular stuff.

cheers,

Rick

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jay,

Great photos….keep them coming!

Just have to love it when you are out that far and you don't run into anyone for days.

-Tony

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Great pics Jay….very jealous!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Rancheria TH is the correct starting place with about a 3,700 ft descent to Tehipite Valley. There was a fire in this section about 2 year ago and the trail crews did a excellent job on the 1 MILLION switchbacks down to the valley floor. It is 18 miles from the Rancheria TH to Tehipite Valley. We camped at Hay Meadows near the rim before the descent to the valley- A very nice campsite with a spring crossing the trail near by. This section is a little sketchy because of all the cow trails in the area. You really need to pay attention at times in the beginning. We got off track a few times…but recovered. Tehipite Valley is as wild and pristine today as it was when it was first discovered back in the day(1800 hundreds). If you are a person who enjoys remote areas I Highly Recommend it!!! Our route was from Rancheria TH to the Tehipite Valley floor then crossing the Middle Fork of the Kings River at Simpson's Meadow connecting to the North Fork Trail which then connects to the JMT and we headed North to Lake Thomas Edison. Roughly 100 miles as the crow flies. NICE!!!!
    Marie Lakes

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools