Topic

Types of Catenary Cuts??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Types of Catenary Cuts??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Are there different types of catenary cut ridgelines? I realize they follow a hyperbolic cosine function, but how is the "a" parameter chosen for tarps & tents? Is there only one type for all manufacturers?

Thanks in advance for educating me.

Tom

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

They are all the same curve. We have an article on it in fact:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog_tech_note_catenary_curves.html

How do you choose 'a'?
    :-)
    Whatever seems like a fair thing to you!

Cheers

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I downloaded the spreadsheet from this site and computed some curves. I don't have the numbers anymore, but the difference between a centenary with a 6 in displacement over 8' and the arc of a circle was negligible. I think it was around 0.016. I just use a circular arc.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Having sewed a number of tents using a simple arc of a circle in lieu of a geometrically correct catenary curve, I can attest that it works just fine. As another poster suggested, the arc will be very close to the theoretical curve when you are talking in terms of a few inches of deflection in a seam several feet long.
    I've had pretty good luck using about 1/4" deviation from straight per foot of seam length – so if your seam is 8 feet long, each piece would have an arc such that the center of the arc would be 2" away from the straight line between the two ends of the line.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools