Topic

I am going solo but?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

I was more confident doing them when I was younger. Misplaced confidence–yeah, I think so.

My dad gave me a new tent, pack and stove for high school graduation, and I had him drop me off at a trailhed the day school ended. Spent a week by myself in Desolation Wilderness.

I made some mistakes and got lucky. I was counting on catching fish, but all the lakes were still frozen, and the creeks were flowing so high that I caught very few–less than a fish a day. So I ran out of food. Some people leaving gave me their leftover food, and that got me through it.

I also camped on an island. Thunderstorms caused rapid snowmelt, and the creek rose really fast. My island got very small very quickly, and I was lucky to learn a life lesson instead of seeing my life end.

Over the years, my skills and knowledge improved, and I did a lot of solo trips.

A few years ago, I drove from Sacramento to the Mammoth area, arriving late in the day, and went about 8 miles or so in to a small lake at over 11,000 feet. It was also about a mile and a half off trail, through some pretty rough terrain that was partially covered in snow and ice. I got really sick, and suddenly realized how foolish I'd been in my anxiousness to get out and get away. In the middle of the night, I had to pack out to lose elevation, navigating with a small headlamp. Fortunately, even though I was weak and disoriented, I didn't fall and hurt myself,(hiking poles helped a lot) as I made my way vomitously to a spot about 1500 feet lower beside the trail.

Now, when solo even on day trips, I'm much more careful. I keep more aware of where other people might be, what my options are, and I don't solo through terrain that is more likely to turn an ankle or precipitate a fall. I stick to trails. I leave at least general descriptions of where I'm likely to be. I have a bit more emergency gear along, even on those day trips–I'm rarely without sufficient gear to get through a few days stranded even on a day hike.

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools