Topic

cutting the mesh liner out of a jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear cutting the mesh liner out of a jacket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

just cut the mesh liner out of my HH Dakota Jacket. Weight dropped from 27oz to 20oz without any sacrifice to water and wind protection on the outside of the jacket. however, my question

does cutting out the 100% poly mesh lining in some way mess up my jacket as far as sweat/steam exiting the jacket? if so, would it be just as effective as long as i wear a wicking layer underneath? what if i wore down underneath? just thinking.

thanks in advance.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The purpose of the mesh is mostly to protect the membrane from abrasion and your skins oils which hinders breathability. Most likely you'll be fine without it. If you want to read more, your jkt is a '2 layer' waterproof/breathable garment which means you've got the outer nylon layer bonded to the inner membrane (the white layer) and then usually mesh is hung inside the garment for the reasons I've mentioned. I think there's a bit more to it than I've stated though, so it's not a bad idea to do a bit more reading although ultimately I don't think it'll affect things too much.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

can anyone else chime in? interesting. thanks much.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools