Topic

Bug protection for MLD trail star

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bug protection for MLD trail star

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ronald Groth
    BPL Member

@rgfooter

Locale: Wisconsin

I am considering a MLD trail star for my wife and myself. Does any one have recommendations for a inner bug net with a floor for this tarp?

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

This thread tells you about an engagement but also shows a nett inner for the Trailstar

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks for the exposure, Roger!

Ronald,
    I have been experimenting with bugnets under the Trailstar. There are some other threads on BPL that touch on the subject, but here's my opinions:

SMD Serenity: This works pretty well. The bug net fits pretty well underneath, and you still have a lot of covered space to move around in underneath the Trailstar.

SMD Serenity + BearPaw Tents Pyra Net 1 (custom): In this setup I am able to have two separate bug nets. I had BearPaw Tents custom make what is basically a mirror image of the SMD Serenity. I also added a zippered door at the foot of each bug net so you can enter, because the regular main zippers are now facing each other. Think a pyramid bug net split right down the middle.

BearPaw Tents Pyra Net 2: My fiancee and I took this to Glacier NP. It works better than the two separate bug nets. This is probably one of the only two-person bugnets that would work under the Trailstar because of the center pole. I had a second door put on this as well.

Now for the opinions. Due to the Trailstar's shape, its difficult to get a bug net, other than a bivy, to work really well. I think a single SMD Serenity or BearPaw Tents Pyra Net 1 work the best.

Once you start trying to fit two people in bug nets under the Trailstar, the setup gets a little more complicated and fiddly. There were times where we longed for the simplicity of our Tarptent Double Rainbow, but the Trailstar is a sweet shelter. The bugs just complicate things.

The height of the pitch of the trailstar affects how the bug nets set up. Too low, and the mesh sags. Too high, and you have to find a way to secure the top of the net just at the height you need. I guess the problem comes in when you try to add a fixed pitch bugnet to a completely versatile and variable pitched shelter like the Trailstar. It can be done, and it works, but sometimes its a little too fiddly for me.

One thing to watch out for is bug net length. If your bug shelter is much longer than the Serenity (84 inches, I think?) some of the corners may start to protrude out under the Trailstar's edges. I had the BearPaw bug nets made to the same length as the Serenity.

Sorry for the long response!

Edit: I've wanted to try the MLD Bug Bivy. Not as much room, but might be a much easier setup underneath the Trailstar. However, you and your wife would each need one.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Thanks Travis. I've thought a lot about buying/making a bug inner tent for my trailstar, but haven't come up with what seemed like a clean solution. I do fine with sleeping in my headnet. My wife does not approve of this approach.

Bug season is about over out hear, and I'll likely ignore the issue until next spring.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

David,
    I've thought about sewing on perimeter netting, but with the versatility of the Trailstar door options, I think perimeter netting would just complicate it. But imagine the huge bug-free space!

Ronald Groth
    BPL Member

@rgfooter

thanks for the reply Travis,
    I have similiar issues with the wife as others have mentioned.
    We currently have a Tarptent Squall. Unfortunely, it is a little tight inside when it rains. You can't touch the wall otherwise your bag gets wet. I will have to chew on your ideas.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Ronald,
    I played with the Trailstar and Serenity shelter yesterday (in my living room). I forgot that the Serenity has two loops on each end about halfway up the mesh. In essence, the loops are tie-out points that would let you configure the net exactly like the MLD Bug Bivy.

So, that's an added bonus of the Serenity. It can be fully pitched so you have sit-up room, or it can be tied up like a bivy. Its a couple extra ounces more than the MLD, but is more versatile I think.

More for you to chew on!

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Travis, your insights into a bug shelter inside the Trailstar are very helpful, as I intend to use mine next summer in high bug season and am looking for the best option, it appears to me that the Serenity Shelter will be the best for one, though a 1.5 Pyra net could also be an option. (BTW the 1.5 Pyra does not exist as far as I know)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Roger,
    For a very reasonable fee, John from Bear Paw does custom work, and he's QUICK. I'm sure he'd have no trouble making a totally custom sized bugnet for under the Trailstar. Just make sure the dimensions you give him will fit! :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools