Topic

Pressurized Alcohol Stove with simmer capability

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pressurized Alcohol Stove with simmer capability

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Couis
    BPL Member

@nichoco

HI, i’M LOOKING FOR A PRESSURISED ALCOHOL STOVE WITH SIMMERING CAPABILITY SO I CAN COOK USING TITANIUM POTS.i NEED THE WEB LINK TO ANY SUCH STOVES,Thanks

Scott Toraason

@kimot2

Nicholas, I’m new to alcohol stoves having just purchased a Mini Bull Atomic which is a pressurized alcohol stove for my Snow Peak Trek 700 titanium pot. Just got back from a three day trip using the stove and it worked great boiling 12 ounces of cold Washington cascade water for my dinners and morning coffee in approximately seven minutes.

Tiny was very helpful and he has a nice website with lots of stoves. It’s my understanding that one of the characteristics of a pressurized stove is that they burn consistently until all the fuel is consumed. This was certainly the case with the Atomic. However I am no expert in this area and would defer to Tiny and others with more experience about a pressurized stove that would simmer. Mini Bull might be a good place to start. Just go to minibulldesign.com.

PS my customer service was excellent!

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

Nicholas, not sure if it’s just the way you phrased your question but you can use titanium pots on alcohols stoves that don’t simmer!

If however you do need to simmer,you could take a look at the Thermojet Stove, reviewed here on the site and also under the reader reviews section. It simmers perfectly, as well as boiling water like mad if you wish. A few users on the site however did have a few problems getting hold of one though (See the reviews).

Simmering, is generally a bit of a problem with alcohol stoves because 99% (My guestimate) don’t really come with that ability. You could try increasing the distance between your pot and the stove if you have a stove that wont simmer, to drop the temperature although that might be a bit fiddly and not very fuel efficient.

Another option might be the NION from Minibulldesign. It will eventually boil water and keep it at a rolling boil but it puts out a lot less heat than other alcohol stoves (Takes water longer to boil) and therefore would be ideal for say cooking foods that will cook quickly at a low heat, a fried egg for example if you have that luxury on the trail!!!

I think the Thermojet might be your best bet though (IMHO).

Scott

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Tinny’s NION is a low output pressurized alcohol stove.

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Locale: Northeast

I have had a series of alcohol stoves
    ION
    Mini-Sith Great Quick Stove
    SST
    NION
    The ION and NION both simmer. I feel the ION with the ring simmers some what better than the NION. However, The ION takes to long, in my opinion for bring water to a boil. The Nion on the other hand will bring my snow peak bowl to a boil in a reasonable amount of time.

I am intersted to see what you figure out in respect to baking in a titanium pot. I still burn things all the time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools