Topic

Favorite Camping Music?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Favorite Camping Music?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Zero 7, Brazilian Girls, Radiohead, Coldplay, The Forgotten and any JAZZ! Camping music is definetly different from hiking music…..That's a hole other genre.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

peter frampton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rFYbMhcG8

skip to 5 min 50 sec

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Yes! Peter Frampton!

Junior High School……..

Michael Fleming

@giganticmermaid

Locale: Great Smoky Mountains
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The sound of silence. :)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

The sound of silence. :)

Ben,

+1

Unless you are talking about Simon & Garfunkel, then -1 (although I like their music).

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Nick,

I like Simon & Garfunkel too — but not at camp; hence, non-capitalized. :)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Okay,

+2

:)

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

I too go for the sound of silence … the relative silence of the wild.

A little wind or water sound is also quite nice.

One of those small electronic players with a small pair of speakers with crappy substandard distorted audio does not qualify as "music".

There are others who rush to get such units setup to "help others have a good time" in camp. Evidently, there is such a strong need for music that even miserably reproduced music is better than listening to nature.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

If someone setup music near where I was camping, I would pack up and move away, but first I would tell them why I'm moving. Wear your mp3 player if you want music (I don't), but please don't inflict in on others who may a) hate your choice of music or b) just prefer the sounds of non-human nature. (or c) have to turn their mp3 up load to overcome your music).

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

I ALWAYS listen to music on the trail and in camp–I really enjoy a little background music in camp in the afternoon…Not loud just enough so you can here it..Especially on long hikes it breaks up the monity of doing 15 miles in a day over and over.. On the trail a good tune will definitely inspire me to walk faster!!Rhythm and Beat-Rhythm and Beat..For me music and nature go hand in hand. I also enjoy the sounds of nature and socializing on the trail but some times you need a little inspiration like Incubus, Tool and the Foo Fighters and do not forget Radiohead and Miles Davis in camp around the fire—Sweet!!!!!!!! You peolpe are missing out-I'm telling ya….

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, The Melvins, Midnight Oil, The Church, R.E.M., Sepultura, Slayer, The Sword, Interpol, The Police, The Fixx, Steely Dan, Yes, King Crimson, Testament, The Cars, Beasti Boys, The Afghan Whigs, Santana, Vince Guaraldi, The Beatles, Arch Enemy, AC/DC, Alice in Chains, Deftones, Tool, Fleet Foxes, Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Marvin Gaye, Minus the Bear, Misfits, Motorhead, Pixies, Primus, Rush, Radiohead, CSN, CSN&Y, JOHNNY CASH, Hank Williams Sr., Genesis, Mars Volta, ZZ Top, Soundgarden, System of a Down, U2, Ice Cube, Body Count, Jane’s Addiction, NIN, Perfect Circle, Nora Jones, Dire Straits, Neil Young, The Who, Miles Davis …… to name a few.

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Various bluegrass/new-grass, local WNC/SE music, Grateful Dead, Ryan Adams, Little Feat, Calexico, Drive By Truckers, Dire Straits, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Steve Earl, Justin Townes Earl, Everybody Fields, WPA, Uncle Tupelo, Whiskeytown, Honeycutters, Wilco, Son Volt, etc. Whatever it is, it'll probably have an alt-country lean and killer guitar tones.

There is one song that never leaves the player ever … Widespread Panic "Travelling Light". My theme song!

I only use headphones in the backcountry; I'm not wanting to inflict my experience on anyone else.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

…… Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Bob Marley, Herbie Hancock, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Doves, Twilight Singers, Hayseed Dixie, Soul Coughing, Cake, MC 900 Foot Jesus, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Tone-Loc, Tom Petty, Sea Food, S.O.D., M.O.D., Patsy Cline, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Howlin Wolf, Derek and the Dominoes, Cream, Allman Brothers, Simon and Garfunkel, Fear Factory, Led Zeppelin….. there is more but I’ll stop.

Things get really interesting when you put all that garbage on shuffle. My 20GB MP3 player does not have enough space on it. I want one the size of a postage stamp with 1TB of storage. I’m sure it will be along soon.

Craig Savage

@tremelo

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains

shoe gaze

Harper Simon, Berkeley Girl
    "She is juniper & roses, she is amethyst & pearl"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfXv6RBPEdI
    ^ acoustic guitar, probably appeal to the oldish hippies in here

Boduf Songs, Quiet When Group
    "A certain seed will flourish when you burn your house down… to roll around in all the ash"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg3t4fZs9Xg
    ^ more acoustic guitar utilizing modern soundscapes, brave it cuz you may likey

Atari Teenage Riot, Activate
    "Music is a weapon"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvXEUbrPG5E
    ^ not sure the over 40 crowd will dig it if you were not punk in the 80s. ATR was a big punk/synth band in the 90s, making a dramatic return with the above live footage

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Interesting music news…

Dave Grohl was recently enjoying the finer moments of a Scissor Sisters concert when frontman Jake Shears stripped to his skivvies and suddenly too many members appeared on stage.

Grohl will bring everything to a screeching halt by threatening a lawsuit that will β€œderail the tour, bankrupt the band and disappoint fans.”

A tearful Grohl spoke on the Scissor Sister's website via special report video saying he’s been a fan for a long time and went to their gig where all was fine, band sounded great until things started to get hot. Very hot.

http://www.examiner.com/music-news-in-san-francisco/scissor-sisters-lawsuit-a-nutshell

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

avett brothers

bluegrass…

YouTube video

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Them Crooked Vultures

TCV
    Dave Grohl- Another side project..

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Dueling banjos for me.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Dave Grohl is my rock hero. Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Probot, TCM. Also he played drums on:
    NIN – With Teeth
    Killing Joke – Killing Joke
    Queens of the Stone Age – Songs for the Deaf

and a lot more………..

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Honey, Honey

from joshuasteelemusic

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

They have a new one…

http://soundcloud.com/joshuasteelemusic

GARDEN

Click on The Garden

Craig Savage

@tremelo

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains

Jeremy

Jeremy Messersmith's amazing youtube video, The Reluctant Graveyard

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools