Topic

South Fork of the Flathead, Bob Marshall Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports South Fork of the Flathead, Bob Marshall Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Last weekend (Friday-Sunday) I took three full days and traversed the Bob Marshall via the fastest and easiest route: hiking in from the Lodgepole TH near Ovando over Youngs Pass, down Youngs Creek and the South Fork, packrafting as much as possible, and fishing along the way. Here is the (high concept, ohhh!) video summary:

http://vimeo.com/14198032

It was an amazing, amazing trip. The Bob is just incredible country, and showed itself well, with epic rains the night before, and lots of fog, clouds, and drizzle for the first two days. The central Bob creates its own weather, and it sure rains a lot.

youngs creek

At the last minute on Thursday night I checked the forecast and added clothing, which was good as for most of Saturday I wore everything I brought. Sitting in a packraft is chilly, especially compared to walking. I wasn't going faster in the boat than walking, due to the twisty river and many gravel bars, but got to see the country in a totally new way. It was mesmerizing and intense.

south fork cobbles

The fishing was the kind I enjoy; easy, with lots of trout that regardless of their size fought like crazy. I kept some of the smallish ones to eat.

The last day was cold starting off, as the now deep river canyon hid the sun until 1030. By then I took out at Mid Creek to walk around the (very impressive) Meadow Creek Gorge. By noon I put the boat back in below the gorge, and with the sun high I was able to finally strip down to shorts and enjoy more gorgeous scenery and great fishing as I langorously floated down to the Spotted Bear ranger station over 4.5 hours.

I took quite a while to get used to the idea of being back home in town.

The Bob is a remarkable place, I'd encourage everyone to try to go there at least once.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

David,
    Thanks for sharing you vison of The Bob with us. The video was great to watch.
    Tom

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Love your trips David, always. Thanks for sharing.

** missed the video link the first time around. That was a minute well spent for me, very creative, summed it all up quite well. Beautiful and challenging country you ramble.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

David- nice vid! :)

Fishing sounds like it was great- I remember fishing the S Fork once reeling in a small cutthroat only to have it gobbled by ~ 8 lb bull trout, my 4 test didn't last long! :)

Mike

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools