Topic

JMT bear canister capacity question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion JMT bear canister capacity question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Gerty

@michael-gerty

Hi all, I'm planning a JMT thru-hike later this month and I have a bear canister question. I have a BearVault BV500 and am planning on 7 days from Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal. I just tried to fit 6 days of food in the canister (my first day of food I can keep in my pack since it will be gone before going to sleep) but I'm unable to fit everything in the canister.

I assume other people have had this problem before – what should I do? Thanks!

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

In order of increasing cost……..

alternate 1: re-do your menu to reduce the bulk so it does fit.

alternate 2: carry a 2nd smaller Beavault for the excess

alternate 3: buy a larger canister (i.e. Bearikade Expedition = 9 days capacity) and sell the Bearvault.

Brian Cripe

@brian-cripe

Locale: Midwest

Option 4: (althought probably cheaper than option 2) Rent a Bearikade for that section of your trip. The rental rates are pretty good ($3 a day for the first couple of days, $2.50 a day afterwards).

Also, look at the packaging on your food. If you are using prepackaged freeze-dried food, a lot of space can be saved by repacking into ziplock bags or something similar.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Yes, definitely look at your food packaging and eliminate bulky items. For example, the packaging for commercial freeze-dried meals is very bulky–repackage them in quart ziplock freezer bags. Consider taking couscous (a more compact and quicker cooking form of pasta) to replace noodles. Or take a rolling pin to your noodles to break them up into very small pieces.

I have easily put 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 3 dinners for 4 people in a BV500, so it is quite possible to squeeze a week's food in the thing.

Chad Eagle

@eaglesd

Locale: SoCal

I don't know if I am alone here, but I was able to fit 4 1/2 days food in the small bearvault for my upcomoing jmt.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

If you can't get more efficient then hang the excess the first night. I bet at least half the JMT hiker do that after resupply and it is perfectly legal. I have done this on most of my longer trips.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

You can get ten days of food into a BV-500 if you pack for minimum volume per calorie rather than just trying to stuff a bunch of freeze dried stuff into the can. I am an old, slow hiker and spent ten days going from resupply at MTR to Whitey Portal. I was able to fit all of my food at 2800 cal per day into my BV-500. All it takes is a bit of planning and starting the trail with a bit of a reserve tank (eg pot belly).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools