Topic

Re-packaging MH in Foodsaver bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Re-packaging MH in Foodsaver bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Coulter

@azhiker

Locale: Arizona

I've read some threads regarding re-packaging freezer bag meals (Mountain House) in zip lock bags. Does anyone have experience with re-packaging and vacuum sealing the dinners in Foodsaver bags?

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

I repackage all of my MH food in Zip Lock bags. But I do it pre-trip and put anything left in the freezer for the next trip. It seems to keep fine doing it this way. I have had no problems. But I repack because I want the smaller portions vs. cost. Thanks.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

I don't, but a hiking buddy of mine repackages MH and other brands in vacuum sealed bags, works great for him, less bulk.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Sure! It works great. And by removing the majority of the air you help keep the meals fresh. Food vac bags are a heavier mil (thickness) than freezer bags so are even more durable.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Do you simply pour the boiled water in the zip-lock bags? Will they melt?

Sarah – thanks for your morning protein shake menu. I used it at Gold Myer hot springs Saturday morning and it hits the spot.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Zip-loc bags may or may not stand boiling water. Freezer bags will.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

John – glad you enjoyed it!

On the bags…boil your water, let it sit for a minute or so and then pour into your freezer bag. I prefer to have my bag in a cozy for support.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools